Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and daughter are making bunk beds. The 'theme' is kind of a country/barn look, with defects in the wood, minimal sanding, etc. Anyway, they need to attach the 2x6 side rails to the 4x4 posts. (Those are 2x2s screwed to the 2x6 siderail on the right.) My daughter doesn't want holes or bolts showing on the outside of the 4x4s so I suggested they could try using brackets to secure the 2x6 to the 4x4. I might also use some 3" deck screws from the inside of the 2x6 into the 4x4.

My question is Where can they get some sturdy white brackets that have some design to them?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do I cut out the rectangular notch to mount the part with the hook? I don't have a rig or drill press.

image-890203356.jpg

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
A good chisel will do the job. Treat it like a very shallow mortise: mark the edges with a knife, and start removing stock. You could also use an electric drill with a forstner bit to do the majority of the work (wrap tape around the bit to mark the depth you want), then clean up with a chisel.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
My choice would be a good sharp chisel, edges don't have to be perfect, just get a good flat bottom. Use a drill to hog out the material behind the slots in the post.

The other alternative is to use surface mounted hardware, not as elegant, but easier to install:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11&sid=AF078

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
As posted above, without good tools for this mortise, I suggest the surface mount hardware. It will save a lot of time and frustration and function just as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used brass bolts and threaded inserts on the inside of the bed. I screwed the insertis into the legs then ran the bolt through the rails into the legs. I routed out the legs so the rails fit flush, the boys bed is a full and doing it this way I could always turn it around and mount them on the outside if he needed a larger bed later. you could always counter sink the bolts and use a plug to cover the holes. dt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The kids have the hardware installed. Now they need to insert 1/2" dowels in the tops of the 4x4 posts of the bottom bed ( to hold the top bed in place via holes in the bottoms of the 4x4 legs of the top bed).

How do they drill holes that are perpendicular to the top of the 4x4 leg? No drill press on site. Are there portable jigs for this?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The kids have the hardware installed. Now they need to insert 1/2" dowels in the tops of the 4x4 posts of the bottom bed ( to hold the top bed in place via holes in the bottoms of the 4x4 legs of the top bed).

How do they drill holes that are perpendicular to the top of the 4x4 leg? No drill press on site. Are there portable jigs for this?
What are you using to drill the hole? I know of two good ways and one bad way to make sure you're drilling straight. The bad way is to get a drill with a bubble level in it and trust that.

The good methods are:
1) Get a drill guide like this. I have one. It works OK if you're careful.

2) Get a block of hardwood at least an inch thick, and make sure two opposite faces are truly parallel. Drill a hole of the appropriate size through it with a drill press. Double check to make sure the hole is absolutely perpendicular to the faces. Now clamp it to the workpiece and use it as a drill guide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts