Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a solid wood table top. Don't have time to finish the table and probably won't for at least a month.

Is storing it leaning against a wall in my home a bad idea. Or should I set it flat on some dunnage in my shop and let it freeze for the winter? It's been glued for a week, but I just attached the breadboard ends last night. 2" thick rock maple.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't let it freeze. If you have to store it leaning on a wall, lean it at an angle so the most air can get to back side.

·
where's my table saw?
28,569 Posts
On the table legs....

Leaning it slightly won't hurt at all. If there is gonna be movement, it will move regardless. I store most of my lumber at a slight lean, rather than flat out horizontally, and it doesn't warp in the length.
Avoid heat and sunlight.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Be careful if you lean your panel against and outside wall, particularly a cinder block or concrete exterior wall. The swings in moisture are greatest there. Also, sticker under the edge that is in contact with the floor.

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
A freeze won't affect the wood. It's the moisture content you need to watch. Like Howard said if you put it somewhere where one side is going to get more moisture than the other it can cause it to warp. As long as it is stored in a dry place where air could circulate around it you will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts