Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building coffee table and wonder how I should secure the top? Allowing for movement, how tight do you tighten the screws ? How far apart?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Im building coffee table and wonder how I should secure the top? Allowing for movement, how tight do you tighten the screws ? How far apart?
Do you have any pictures or a sketch of the table and the parts? There are a few ways to arrange for fasteners. Basically, you need either a cleat or hardware that gets installed parallel to the top, mounted inside of the apron (if any), or supports. Across the grain, elongated holes for screws/washers to allow for movement. these can be snug but not tight. At the ends, the center can be screwed tight, but towards the sides, elongated holes for fasteners, done like the sides.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You might take a quick look for my coffee table build thread (I'd post a link but can't from my phone). I felt I came up with a pretty decent way to attach the top.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have found that easiest and cheap method is to glue 4 small blocks to table base inside and attach the top through these blocks. This method was commonly used in Russia 18&19 centuries. I did it on two tables and looks like it's strong enough. Another common method is described here - http://woodgears.ca/table/kids/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts