Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So does anyone know what kind of material that^ wall is or if there will be any difference to taking it down? Or if there would be any issue putting up drywall on that wall if the other walls are this material?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bump!!

Been a little while, but im back to working on this project.
I took down the trim, panel, carpet tack strip, and the last row of the paperish ceiling tiles.. without destroying any of them'

View attachment 425060 View attachment 425061

View attachment 425062

Looks like the paperish ceiling tiles were stapled into 1x beams that were nailed into the ceiling. Was able to remove the staples with needle nose pliers and remove them (tongue and grove). Then take out the 1x along the egde in order to be able to remove the wall panels.
View attachment 425063

This is a pic from inside the opening to a vent in the wall. You can clearly see two layers of drywall. The other guy staying here said it felt like a much older version before drywall was more popular? He put out a weak punch onto the wall and it didnt even dent it as it likely would with normal drywall. - Granted my experience is still limited with this stuff.
Any idea what type of wall material that is?

Secondly, you can see that the 2x4 wall frame (and the drywall stuff) goes a little bit lower then the wood floor level. If i were to add a 2x2 to make the frame a 2x6 and stagnate the studs, Is it ok to have the 2x2 sitting ontop of the wood floor and nail it to the 2x4. Id have to make little cut outs in the 2x4s to fit putitng them in, or use a 2x1 or something. But id rather not start pulling up the wood floor. Theirs a near perfect chance i will **** that up. - The two layers of wall stick out about 7/8 to 15/16 inches out from the 2x4

View attachment 425064
Didnt realize my post was the last on the page. And it wouldnt let me edit the one on this page, or submit a new reply yesterday. So, quoting it to bump to the new page.

Looks like plaster.
If it is, would there be an issue or any complications removing it and replacing it with drywall. (And the other three walls are likely the same material as this wall)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Do whatever it takes to achieve the goal. It's not a supporting wall, nail the 2x2 down and notch the studs. Big thing is to isolate from the original wall. You may have plaster on the wall. I'd also say to get did of the vent, it's a good source for noise transmission

41 - 44 of 44 Posts