Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new kid here. I'm restoring a vintage arcade cabinet which has a fair amount of oak trim. it consists of oak boards that are about 4" X 24" X 3/4".

Some dummy painted the oak with black paint probably decades ago, and although I removed it with Citrus strip, I notice there is a lot of black paint left in the grain, which is too deep to sand away.

Do you guys have any effective techniques for removing black paint from oak grain? Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Steve. I'll take that advice.

Some of the oak has been removed, but some of it must remain on the machine as it is too integrated into the design. I was hoping to replace all the oak but I wouldn't be able to replace the deeply integrated portion and there would be a matching problem.

I'll have to go with plan B, the laquer thinner as there are lots of relays and switches still installed in the cabinet.

I'll get to work and report my results. Thanks for your time!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.