Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
First off let me say never use a brad or screw to fix this problem, it doesn't work and ruins the chair. Heat works, also applying vinegar will loosen yellow glue joints. If it was me the best fix is to turn a new spindle but that is not for most. Another option if you can't the tendon out is using a 2 part epoxy, you have a good surface area, apply the epoxy, position the spindle, wrap with wax paper. then I use rubber straps I make from bike inner tubes. Clamping tapered round surfaces is a pain in the butt. Epoxy can set in 5 minutes but I always let it cure for 24 hours. A razor blade will remove any excess epoxy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Agree...I've fixed many of these breaks in the shop..

Unless your replacing the spindle, there's no reason to dismantle it...

What that saying...." glue is stronger than wood itself"
That quote is only true in certain circumstances, if your dealing with a break like that you may have raised wood fibers that prevent a good alignment that have to be removed or small missing pieces. Wood glue doesn't perform well when there are gaps, that's why in some cases I opt for epoxy, a dry fit will let you know which way to go.

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
I deal with chair repairs many times a month where I do volunteer work at the woodshop, the policy is if it can't be fixed in a manner to ensure the safety of the user I say "no" or if the cost to properly repair it is more than they are willing pay then it is also "no". Fixing chairs has a certain liability issue if someone is injured from a poor repair.

·
Registered
563 Posts
"The epoxied joint could also be held together with masking tape and sand the tape off when the epoxy sets", Not my first choice, instead wrap the joint with wax paper, epoxy won't stick to it, use duct tape instead of masking tape. A single edge razor blade can remove excess epoxy, by sanding the tape off you have to match the existing finish.

·
Registered
563 Posts
True, but I find acetone more effective, if I have a joint that was epoxied using acetone can weaken it much the same as vinegar does with yellow glue and your wife will always have a supply of nail polish remover handy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
"Cyanoacrolate would never be my choice for repairs on a stressed area."

I agree, but if you have a loose spindle or a chair leg it is very effective. Beats the heck out of trying to disassemble other solid joints to fix one or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts