Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I decided to use a 2-part linear polyurethane finish---specifically, Interlux Perfection Plus, which is described as a yacht varnish. I've had lots of bubbles in it and haven't been able to tip them off. I've done quite a bit of work with 1 part polyurethane in the past, and never had any difficulty with that. With this expensive Interlux stuff, I've put on 3 coats, and ended up sanding most of it back off. I think the liquid is too viscous, even when thinned to the max allowed.

So, I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to how to best finish this up. The wood is covered with epoxy and there is now a (thin) layer of a 2-part polyurethane on top of that. I was thinking maybe I'd use, say, Varathane water-based gloss and put down a bunch of coats of that. I know that'll go down nicely and be fairly durable, since that's what I used to finish my cabinets. Do you think that would hold up on a countertop? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi and thank you to all who answered.. I have also had problems bringing the epoxy back to a high gloss.. so please tell me how much time are spending with each level of grit sandpaper and rubbing compound. I have never been able to achieve the high gloss either and would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, When I did a table top with Parks, I set it up ahead of time with the backs of 4 chairs facing the table and a large piece of plastic from a thin drop cloth taped to the back of one chair. When I finished the pouring and when it stopped dripping, my hubby and I carefully lifted the plastic over the top of the table (not touching the surface) and taped it to the other chairs. I did end up with some beginner issues and ended up applying a second coat, but the table top itself didn't have any bugs or flying dust, etc. Also, if it dries but is tacky, Rustoleum told me to apply acetone with a soft cloth to fix that problem. I haven't done it yet, but that's what they said to do.

I still have an issue with the top and I want to sand it down a little then I thought I'd polish it with car polish since it's much heavier than normal house polish. Does anyone know if that will work? It's just for a side table and I really don't want to pour on a third coat.

Linda

21 - 24 of 24 Posts