Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am working with a one and a half inch thick board for an art project. The board has some cracks that i would like to patch or stitch.

The crack on one side goes about 3/4" deep for about half the board (roughly).

If I wanted to patch the cracks with wood inlay (ie Nakashima's butterflies), do I have to go deeper than the crack to protect it, say to 1"?

Or is there another way that might be simpler? Could I pour wood glue or resin in the cracks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
You have a couple options you could use a dutchmen. What I like to do for that is clamp the board together to try and close he crack as much as you can then take your dutchmen and scribe a line around it. Then using a forstner bit drill down about half to three quarters through the board. Then using a Sharp chisel par away until you meet your scribe line. Hammer your dutchmen in and sand smooth. Sounds difficult but really not.

Or you could just fill the crack with some epoxy and be done with it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks! Any recommendations about a chisel?

I should make my own dutchmen, right? I don't have a band saw, so probably going to use my coping saw. Also, any suggestions about the dutchmen thickness? I would probably use 3/4" stock.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Great, thanks! Any recommendations about a chisel?

I should make my own dutchmen, right? I don't have a band saw, so probably going to use my coping saw. Also, any suggestions about the dutchmen thickness? I would probably use 3/4" stock.
Just a good Sharp appropriately sized paring chisel would be my choice. I would make it about 5/8 thick so you have some to sand off flush.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts