Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked about making something similar to this, but without using a CNC router, I'm not sure what the best method would be outside of using a jig saw on the entire thing. Any suggestions?

Close up of the profile of the piece.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Use a jig or scroll saw to make a pattern from hardboard or 1/4-3/8" BB plywood. Take time to make the pattern as smooth and accurate as possible.
Rough cut the thicker plywood using a bandsaw within 1/8" or less of the pattern.
Stick the pattern to the rough cut, then use a pattern bit (straight bit with a flush bearing) to follow the pattern and trim the final piece flush to the pattern.

This will be tough as Baltic Birch plywood is nasty on router bits, might splinter when rough cut, etc.

Otherwise subcontract it to someone with a CNC.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would use a scroll saw and than use an oscillating spindle sander to finish the edges. If you make a template you are going to use an OS anyway. Cut the out side first sand than do the inside. You can not use a bandsaw unless you have some way to braze the saw blade back together when you do the inside.

·
where's my table saw?
31,243 Posts
bandsaw

Depending on the smallest radius, I would use a bandsaw and a 1/4" or smaller blade. No problems going around the outside....:no: Then cut right through the "track" at the finish line and go around the inside, then glue the finish line back together... :yes:

You will need a good work support table no matter which tool you use.

·
where's my table saw?
31,243 Posts
Approximately 8 to 10 lineal feet ?

If I had to scroll saw that many lineal feet from what looks to be 1 1/2" to 2" thick plywood.... I'd find a different way. Bandsaw? Rent time on a CNC as suggested? Router and a template ?
It would be a heavy load on a scroll saw and the blades. JMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.