Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Could someone please explain how this modular sectional sofa was made?

Sofa.jpg

It looks pretty easy to make the frame but not sure.

My thoughts are:

Seat is a plywood box with webbing on the top of the box with alot of foam padding
Backrest and armrest is a narrower and higher box with alot of foam padding

What I am trying to work out is how the backrest and armrest and seat are held together?

·
Super Moderator
David
4,999 Posts
Welcome to the forum! When you get a minute complete your profile with location and you can add your first name to your signature line so it will show in each post. I removed the link and inserted the photo. Most folks don't want to click on a link, especially from someone new to the forum. You'll need to have more than 10 posts before you can submit a link anyway.

Sofas and chairs usually have an open frame with webbing. Just a simple Google search turns up tons of info - How sofas are made

David

·
Smart and Cool
1,950 Posts
Hi

Could someone please explain how this modular sectional sofa was made?

View attachment 366046

It looks pretty easy to make the frame but not sure.

My thoughts are:

Seat is a plywood box with webbing on the top of the box with alot of foam padding
Backrest and armrest is a narrower and higher box with alot of foam padding

What I am trying to work out is how the backrest and armrest and seat are held together?
No box at all, most, if not all furniture is made with frames, springs, straps, etc, providing support where needed.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Unless you’re an upholsterer, this will be expensive to send out for upholstery. It will take a special attachment on the sewing machine to make the beaded edge welting on the seat cushions, backs and arms.
The frame is a simple frame. The height of the frame is determined by the thickness of the cushions (foam). The frame can be made of hardwood or construction grade lumber. It can be glued and screwed together with only butt joints or you could use more complex joinery. Building the frame is the easy part. Most of the project is in the upholstery.

·
Generic Weeb
1,001 Posts
I just looked up "How it's made Sofa's" and got this. Super interesting video, Couches are generally frames as far as I'm aware so mainly the hard part is going to be upholstering it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the video was helpful

I have a friend who can upholster it for me.

Does anyone know how the back rest frame is joined to the seat frame?

In some pictures it appears to be placed at the back but if one falls into the seat and leans back harshly I'm sure the backrest will fall over.

It does look like each piece the backrest and seat is individually upholstered and so not sure how the are held together without damaging the fabric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts