Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The family room should be set up so that in the the evenings, the family actually hangs out together.
These days, families are involved with quite a number of different activities.
TV, video games, computer center(s), home office, library and additional storage were all accomplished with built in cabinetry so that there was a place to put everything away and have the room look good at the same time.

I really like this client because they wanted richly appointed built-ins but they loved the look of natural wood. Sometimes perfectly straight-grained ('select') boards and veneers do not look real / too perfect / like 'wood grain' formica.
So we decided to use cherry but made sure to include some great looking imperfections, to make it a bit more hand made looking. I don't mean crude, just a little more authentic / made from wood.

I'm including my renderings so you can appreciate how our plans became realized.

Although labor intensive, rich details make a world of difference.

We've done many built-ins that are difficult to get a good picture of...
...and there are some that just seem made for it (though we removed some furniture so you could see the cabinetry).

With good design, craftsmanship and a great client... you can't go wrong.

My family has quite a number of projects on the web site's photo gallery. Videos as well.

Russell Hudson / web site access (click name above, home page)

Reactions: mackem

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Holy crap that is nice. I'm not even worthy to LOOK at that.

·
ruiningprojects
389 Posts
very, very nice work. :thumbsup:

not a single joint line is visible. hey, wait a minute, i think it was pressed from one big piece of wood. that is just too perfect!:laughing:

i kid of course. as Levi said, i hope to one day hone my skills enough to be able to produce something of this quality.

thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Gorgeous! That's high quality work worth thousands if hired out. I bet you're family will really be enjoying that

·
Registered
417 Posts
I like the detail on the top elliptical shelf how u extended the trim. Those details in my opinion make it look custom than anything else.

·
Registered
371 Posts
World-Class. Absolutely World-Class.

I love that the client(s) appreciate the "real character" of wood. I'm sure you do too.

"With good design, craftsmanship and a great client... you can't go wrong."

-Say no more to that!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Award Winner.

I don't do this very often, but I do
think this work merit's it.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Means more coming from people who know something on the subject.
Thanks, gentlemen...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Russel thx for posting. Excellent work, don't see that high standard often.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this was for a client (for those of you who may not have read it) / not my own home

1 - 20 of 25 Posts