Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut down up my neighbor's redbud after it fell during a storm, and when the two trunks split these little wood burrowing beetles were scurrying away. I'd hate to try to cut out that section of the tree and burn it unless that was last resort because I got the wood for turning and I'd lose some sections that seem like they would be uniquely figured. I sprayed with some stuff that I got to kill termites in my barn because it said it would kill powder post beetles and such, and then I covered it with a tarp. Think this will work?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've use several methods in getting read of pest on small turning pieces I just spray the blank down good an wet then put in a trash bag an sealed it up for 2 months all bugs dead. When it comes to plank wood it needs to be kilned dried an the heat it self will do it for you

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use diatomaceous earth, anything with an exoskeleton crawls through it and it cuts them up!!!! They DIE< DIE<DIE!!!! It is actually a fossil fragment of bones, plants etc. Very sharp points and edges. Costs next to nothing; in fifty pound bags. Call around to feed stores in your area. We use it on the orchard, garage, woodpile, etc. ken

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
khowald said:
I use diatomaceous earth, anything with an exoskeleton crawls through it and it cuts them up!!!! They DIE< DIE<DIE!!!! It is actually a fossil fragment of bones, plants etc. Very sharp points and edges. Costs next to nothing; in fifty pound bags. Call around to feed stores in your area. We use it on the orchard, garage, woodpile, etc. ken
I especially liked your enthusiasm!
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll go with the DE laced with food. Mua ha ha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.