Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
It will be obvious once it's explained but I'm wondering how this is done.
Looks, to me, as if the two rails are notched so they slide into one another and lock , then, the two tails of those rails lock into the post that contains the 3 fingers. Nothing can pull out horizontally, only vertically.

Hope this makes sense...

Paul

If you PM me with an email address, I have drawn it up in sketchup and you will clearly see how it's done... I cannot seem to get the pic into here, for some reason.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
What would a joint like this be used for? Could this be used for a table apron and legs?
I would imagine it could be used for an apron although, I suspect that, over time, that joint would loosen a little bit. The picture the OP shows looks like a bed frame although I would think the same thing applies, over time that joint would loosen just a bit and cause some wobble. I could be wrong. I've never made that joint. Out of a hardwood would probably be better than what appears to be fir in the picture.

Paul

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
It would be a very strong permanent joint glued and pinned. As a knockdown joint it would likely be wobbly over time.
Of course, you're right, Frank. That would make it a very strong joint. It just would no longer be a Japanese joint. That said, if I was going to use it, I would probably do just as you say.

Paul

·
Registered
101 Posts
Knowing how intricate the japanese joints usually are, I'd hazard a guess and say that while the two runners are notched to accept each other, they are probably also notched to lock onto the leg/post. Like an F.

But that's just conjecture.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
Knowing how intricate the japanese joints usually are, I'd hazard a guess and say that while the two runners are notched to accept each other, they are probably also notched to lock onto the leg/post. Like an F.

But that's just conjecture.
You could be right about that. I could not find this particular joint exploded anywhere, so I was merely guessing..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts