Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I want to take apart my kitchen cabinet door frames so that I can remove the inner panel, I only need to take one side loose so I can slide the panel out.

What is the best way to loosen the glue joint? Frames are made of oak and I will be refinishing them, saving the finish is not an issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Use a heat gun to soften the glue. Keep it moving so you don't scorch the wood. I can't tell you how many guitars I've taken apart using that method.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a good plan Corndog. Going to the barn to get my heat gun right now...

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have to fire that saw up!!
Here is what I'm up against now, 2 brads in each joint, the heat loosens the glue but I cant pry it apart because of the brads.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
In theory,yes. but a 18 gauge brad???? The bit is going to take the path of least resistance....the wood. You'll end up makin' a whole new door I think.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
267 Posts
When I put a brad in the wrong place in my projects, I use a nail punch to push it through just far enough to pull it out with a pair pliers.

Bruce.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
That stinks, stupid brads. The only thing I can think of (and this is sloppy) drill a hole like daryl suggested. Just beside the brad, and push the brad head over into the hole were you can get ahold of it with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Don't make too much of a mess that you can't drill a 3/8" hole over the whole area once the brad is out. Take a 3/8" oak plug and glue it in to patch. Kinda sucky idea, but that is all I got. They are on the inside of the door at least.
An endgrain oak plug if you line the grain up with what is there shouldn't look too obvious.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Never had that werk fer me. I just end up clippin' 'em off. But I gotta say...there ain't too many brads in a guitar!!!:laughing: Just the jigs.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have to agree with Daren. Drill it out and use a plug. I think anything else would be to obvious. Of course I would weigh the option of how much time and labor you will be putting into the doors verses just making new ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
another drilling option

Along the lines of drilling a small pilot hole, perhaps you could take a countersinking cutter and remove the pilot drill. Then drill down with the brad going into the hole normally occupied by the pilot drill. Chase it down enough to grab the protruding brad with needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Just a thought, haven't tried it before...

Chuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to try some of the suggested methods and see how it goes.
I've never had to resort to plan C yet, but I aint afraid to do it. lol

Thank's for the ideas guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it!! Darens way worked.
The brads are shot in from the back of the doors. I drilled a 3/16 hole to remove them so I can drill for larger plugs when done.

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
I believe I would use

a 3/8" diameter, piloted counterbore without the pilot. That way you have a cavity in the cutter where the brad can enter while you are cutting the wood around it leaving a round hole that will accept a plug.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want to replace some of them with frosted glass and the rest I want to stain the panels a different color than the frames.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts