Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my sister had an oak taken down with ~20 feet of the main trunk left standing. They then had an artist carve it. It was a live tree prior to being carved. Now a year later wondering what she should do to finish and protect it.

Looking for suggestions. Thanks!!

Plant Wood Tree Creative arts Trunk

·
Registered
28,474 Posts
The wood will still be green. If you are going to finish it now I would use some kind of oil finish or a wax finish. The wood will shrink as it dries and likely to have an adverse reaction if you put a finish like a varnish on it. if you think you might someday really want a varnish on it don't use a wax finish. Be sure to check the ingredients in oil finishes too. Some of them contain a finishing wax.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Last year my sister had an oak taken down with ~20 feet of the main trunk left standing. They then had an artist carve it. It was a live tree prior to being carved. Now a year later wondering what she should do to finish and protect it.
She missed the window for "best" practice, but still will be able to preserve it. I am surprised the carver did not provide information at the time it was carved. Complete Guide To Preserving a Chainsaw Carving | Wood Is Wood

The best practice for maintaining your chainsaw carving is to reapply the sealer/oil every two weeks for the first year and every 12 months for the following years. If you reapply the sealer every 4-6 weeks instead of the recommended 2 weeks, your carving will still be well sealed, however, not to its full potential.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts