Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a picture of the second attempt at bowl/cup turing. My problem is the sanding lines shown in the picture. I vary the lathe speed and how hard/soft I press on the sand paper, and spend a great of time, all to no avail. The wood in this case is birch.

How do I get rid of the lines?

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
Your picture won't load with my bad internet. As far as the sanding scratch, you have to sand in steps on a lathe as anything else. Coarse sandpaper will make pretty bad scratches in the wood. If it's necessary to use the coarser paper you have to pay for it by polishing out the scratches the coarse paper makes. For example if you use a 60 grit paper then you need to thoroughly sand again with 100 grit and then 150 and then 180 and some woods 220 grit last. Sometimes it helps if before you go to the finer grit you wet the piece with water and let dry. The water raises the grain and makes the next sanding step more effective. Just be careful sanding on a lathe. It generates heat quick so relocate your fingers on the paper frequently to keep from getting burned.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
And always dust the piece down before you move to the next grade of sandpaper .
Grit from the last one can play havoc with the finer paper's work

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What grits of sandpaper are you using?

Generally, starting with 100 grit and then moving to 120, 150, 180 and finishing at 220 would work fine. Don't skip any grits. Sand with each grit to get the sanding lines out from the prior grit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done the progression but still had problems...only thing that I may have done wrong was start with 60 grit...next time I'll start higher.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts