Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a newbie to woodworking and have just finished building a combo outfeed/assembly/router table with a 3/4" melamine top. I am looking for help on how to edge the table top. I have a bunch of 3/4" oak boards and have access to a table saw, miter saw, and router.

If someone could let me know what my options are in terms of how to edge the table I'd greatly appreciate it. Tutorials and/or videos are appreciated too. I've done a bunch of searching on the internet without luck but it could be I just dont even know how best to phrase what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Nathan

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
If you still have the top loose, I would machine the melamine liner off the back side about 2" wide all the way around and glue a piece of oak flush with the edge all the way around. Then put a piece of oak around the edge like you would a counter top. Having the solid wood under the top will enable you to clamp jigs and fences to the top with damaging it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, that would have been a good way to go but I've got the top bolted to the table. I'm looking to attach an edge to the melamine table top. Should I just cut some oak strips and tack it to the edge? Is there a different way to go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like Steves suggestion but if you don't want to take the top off, just glue and clamp some strips to the edge. Make them a little wider and trim with a router...or try and get them exact and eliminate the trimming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Danno. Sorry to be so thick, but that means just cut some strips from the oak right? Would you have any suggestions on how thick they should be. Also--any resource for how to get the corners to fit properly in terms of cutting the angles? This will be my first time doing that as well.

Thanks so much.

Nathan

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, for sure. If you're just looking for edge banding, 1/4" is more than enough. Go with whatever thickness you're comfortable cutting. As mentioned before...if it's nice and square, 45 degree corners would look good. If not, make the sides flush with the melamine first and fit the front and back to cover the sides.

·
Registered
26,374 Posts
Ahh, that would have been a good way to go but I've got the top bolted to the table. I'm looking to attach an edge to the melamine table top. Should I just cut some oak strips and tack it to the edge? Is there a different way to go?

Thanks.
If you have enough overhang you might take some coarse sandpaper and roughen the melamine and glue a strip of wood to the underside with two part epoxy and then edge out the top using a wood glue. The end result would be the same but would keep you from having to remove the top. The oak would just have adhered better to the particleboard core with wood glue than the melamine & epoxy. There really shouldn't be much stress on it anyway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your answers. I'm going to give this a shot and let you know how it works out. (If anyone has a good tutorial on how to set up the miter saw to cut the 45's properly that'd be great, I will look around).

Thanks again.

Nathan

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
'Cause its there.

Mount_Everest-300x200.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts