Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cut a tapered miter out of maple plywood for a table leg. I also need to make a pyramid out of the plywood as well. Can I get some suggestions on making a jig for my table saw in order to cut these? Thanks for the imput.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Do you mean a beveled miter . . . . or a tapered leg?
And how big does this pyramid need to be because cutting the triangles on the table saw would not be hard but a straight edge and circular saw with a sharp, thin kerf, high teeth count carbide blade might be even easier.
I think the angle of the great pyramid was 52ish but that is working from memory from a book called Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock. You can use any angle you want obviously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
couter support

I am making the pyramids 15 inches. The tapered joint will be from about 4 inches to 6 inches or so and 32 inches tall. It is for a support under a granite counter top.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Making a jig would be relatively easy with the use of a couple sacrificial sleds made up just for these cuts. Getting the bevel and miter numbers sounds like the challenge to me.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I still don't know what you mean by "tapered" joint. Are you calling a bevel a taper? Are you talking about the bevel edge on the mitered sides of the pyramid parts? I don't think so because I can't picture what you mean when you say "the tapered joint will be from 4 - 6"

But alpine don't think it is you, I ain't the brightest bulb in the chandelier when it comes to visulaizing what other describe. :no:

That calculator Rob linked to is awesome! Hope it is what you are looking for I can't imagine the math that went into writing the software for that. :blink:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds to me like you want to make a tapered leg with a miter. If so I use a premade taper jig. They're inexpensive, but just googling a picture of one will give you the idea how to make one if you prefer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts