Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a cup in a piece of wood roughly the size of a racket ball ball....is there a router bit or drill bit trhat can do??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
james carroll

you mean a normal grinder like you cut steal with? I was hoping there was something like a larg router bit...how would you cut with the gringer??

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I have the chainsaw grinding attachment to which matt is referring. It will definately hog out the wood but finish work with it is pretty nigh impossible and it can get away from you and make a deep gouge if you aren't real careful and have some experience with it. But what it is designed for it is real handy.

It's called an Excalibur or Squire can't remember what is the name of the tool and what is the company but one or the other I think. If you are interested I'll dig it out of the pile of tools in my trailer and post the info but I think there must be a better way for your application.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Start with a forstner bit, but that will give you flat sides and bottom. Then use a Dremel or other rotary tool with a round rasp bit to remove more material. Then some sand paper on the end of your finger, or a sanding bit in the rotary tool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
James,

All of the suggestion above will work, but it is going to take you a while. Depending on how perfect you want it and now much time you have, you might look for a local turning group and pay on of those guys to do it for you. I know at my local Rockler they are there once a month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts