Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ken Schlema
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys , being new to turning I am looking for a resource that shows the,different wAys to chuck up ??
I have an easy chuck that works nice but cutting away the bowl gets messy. Suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Are you talking about the Easy wood Tools chuck? I looked at one at SWAT last year and it is really well made and high quality. At that time the price was still a bit too rich for my blood.

You mentioned that things were "messy", but could you clarify what you mean by that? I don't know if you are referring to bowl shape, tool control, or something else.

·
7,222 Posts
This is a long video by Mike Peace, 1 hr 29min, but worth your time to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

Covers the many ways to chuck wood on the lathe.

I am not sure what you mean by "cutting away the bowl gets messy".

Turning creates a LOT of chips and debris. The more the volume of waste to remove, the greater the pile of shavings. Have brush and shovel and a large container handy.

I start my bowl blanks between centres to rough the outside and make the tenon.

I then reverse and mount in my scroll chuck. I will use the tailstock if I need to further turn the outside of the bowl. I remove the tailstock for turning the inside of the bowl.

If you are turning green aka wet wood, be prepared to wipe down the lathe bed with WD-40 as soon as you stop turning. I cleaned up but did not wipe with WD-40 and went away for about 20 mins. By the time I returned I already had the start of superficial rust on the rails.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Reactions: Ken schleman

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Suggestions appreciated.
Yep , some the suggestions are the same as the ones given to you in your other two threads , others are new .

Provide more information in your posts .
That means a clear concise description of the situation ,
the tools,
and your problem with them .
Provide the full name of those tools ,
and links to any that you refer to but don't have .
Post photos of the tools .
Post photos of the problem if possible .
All of the above will shorten the thread and speed up the flow of information .

Keep returning to the threads you author and engage with those who are attempting to assist you .

and
Make contact with your nearest woodturning club , which may be

South Dakota
Siouxland Wood Turners
46244 308th St., Vernillion
Phone: (605)360-0803
(605)360-0803 FREE
Meet the first Saturday of every other month, Jan., March,etc
at the woodshop at Lincoln High School,
Siux Falls.
Covering Eastern SD, SW Minn, NW Iowa

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Guys , being new to turning I am looking for a resource that shows the,different wAys to chuck up ??
I have an easy chuck that works nice but cutting away the bowl gets messy. Suggestions appreciated.
What wood are you turning , how big is it , and what tools are you using ?

·
Ken Schlema
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill I guess I was very vague with the question , I'll try to clarify.
And yes the Easy Chuck is expensive but that's the benefit of starting I guess, since you don't have anything you might as well buy the good things for twice the price:)
The problem I have is once I finish a bowl and it's mounted in the chuck with the tenon. What is the Best way to finish up? I have cut them loose but they are not clean or neat.
Suggestions on how to do this final step correctly?

·
7,222 Posts
The problem I have is once I finish a bowl and it's mounted in the chuck with the tenon. What is the Best way to finish up? I have cut them loose but they are not clean or neat.
Take a look at the video I linked earlier.

Also read this tutorial by John Lucas on reverse chucking, which is what we call the phase when you need to remove the tenon.

Many ways to accomplish this step.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/3190ed7d358...EC0DC707F1FE36FCB&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Edit. Looks like John just beat me to his link.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
And yes the Easy Chuck is expensive but that's the benefit of starting I guess, since you don't have anything you might as well buy the good things for twice the price:)
Ken ,
thats an age old dilemma that one :icon_smile:.
Life was easier when we screwed to the faceplate , then filled the screw holes , or before that when the old pole turners parted the work off the stub .

google Cole Jaws , or Longworth Chuck .
You can either make one or buy one .

Jock

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I use a friction chuck almost 100% of the time. Some day I may make a donut chuck.
This short video shows a friction chuck. Lyle uses a faceplate but I just turn a disc to fit the chuck jaws. It's also easier to stack up 3-4 of different diameters for storage since they are only 3/4" thick.
An important thing to remember is to make the end flat or even concave. If you have a rounded (convex) end there is very little contact and the bowl can rock and roll. If it is flat you have contact all around the edge of your drive. I try to size the chuck diameter to the foot diameter so the greatest support is in the area of the thickest cut.

For a very deep bowl or a natural edge you may need to make your drive longer to keep the bowl away from the headstock. This would look like the center of the Home made adjustable chuck in John's article but mine would be flat on the end and held in spigot jaws in the chuck.

I usually turn mine down to 1/8 - 1/4 nipple then remove it with a chisel and sand.

Reactions: Ken schleman

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ken, if you were using a faceplate then cutting them off or using a parting tool is the way that is usually done. The great advantage of using a scroll chuck is that you just open the jaws and voila it is off the chuck. Of course, you want to know what to do about the tenon (or recess if you did it that way). There are many ways to do it, but a basic simple method is to make a jam chuck. This is just a piece of scrap wood that you put in the chuck and then round the face of it so that the curvature closely matches the curvature of the bottom of the bowl. Then get something that will provide a friction grip and a slight bit of cushioning. A mouse pad or drawer liner are two good options. Put a piece of the material over the jam chuck and then approximately center the inside bottom of the bowl against the padding material. Bring up the tailstock nice and snug so that nothing shifts around. Next, using a bowl gouge make very very very light cuts to clean up the bottom and put a nice foot on it. For a beginner it is easier said than done, but it won't take long before you can do this easily. There are numerous other methods, some of which require building one contraption or another to hold the bowl. My favorite is vacuum chucking, but that can be quite expensive. A vacuum system can't be used on everything so I still have to use a jam chuck now and then.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ken and co ,

I notice that Lyle has the same fiddly hassle that I had centring up the bowl when reversing it on to the friction chuck . I also had the same issue with vacuum chucking so I had this made up.

There are tailstock arbors threaded to suit scroll chucks , but those that were available to me were fixed and I wanted on that is live , so that I can also use it for turning heavy spindle stock .
I collected up the arbor , the bearing and the Nova insert and had a local engineer make it up .
All up it was cheaper than getting one in from overseas .
It works a dream :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You can buy one of those made by my friends at http://www.bestwoodtools.com/

I start all my bowls between centers so there is always a center mark left on the bottom. This makes it extremely easy to center reverse mounted bowls because I use the same mark the tailstock left from the first turning.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
You don't need a live center for this purpose. mount the chuck on it. Put it in the tailstock. Move it up to the vacuum chuck and turn on the vacuum chuck while pushing on the tailstock. Then release the chuck and move it out of the way and turn the bottom.
I have the Oneway adaptor which goes on their live center but I have to screw it on each time which is a pain. With the Bestwoodtools adaptor I simply pick it up and use it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You don't need a live center for this purpose. mount the chuck on it. Put it in the tailstock. Move it up to the vacuum chuck and turn on the vacuum chuck while pushing on the tailstock. Then release the chuck and move it out of the way and turn the bottom.
I have the Oneway adaptor which goes on their live center but I have to screw it on each time which is a pain. With the Bestwoodtools adaptor I simply pick it up and use it.
I didn't say that a live centre was needed for reverse chucking .
It must have been someone else

1 - 17 of 17 Posts