Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air compressors are an essential tool for any carpenter, contractor or homeowner who does projects that require power tools. There are a lot of different things to consider when purchasing one such as the type of work you do, the size of your job site and what kind of air compressor you need for your particular project.
To help you choose which is best for your situation, I've put together this resource's with some helpful tips on how to pick out the perfect compressor.
Resource's : -
1. How to choose air compressor by familyhandyman
2. How to choose air compressor by Lowes
3. How to choose air compressor You tube video link -
4. Air compressor review by thespruce
5. Home air compressor for DIY tools by Bobvila
6. Air compressor for framing by ToolsVoice
Picking the right air compressor for your needs is a decision that will last you years, so it's important to make sure you get the right one up front. I'm sharing the resource, what I found on my research. Please! share your resource and experience. It will be helpful for beginners

·
where's my table saw?
28,716 Posts
Ya know .... sometimes one compressor is just not enough! o_O
The pancake type is great for carrying around in the truck and lifting up on scaffolds and ladders if need be.
The 2 HP is great for under the workbench used for small spray jobs and blowing out sawdust.
The 5 HP is what I use for sand/media blasting, the grease gun, impact drivers, inflating truck tires and spray painting outdoors.

Reactions: Per_Dan

·
Ancient Termite
1,030 Posts
Oh goodness.
About 26 years ago I bought a Devilbiss compressor when the Eagle hardware chain was going out of business. I left it pressurized all those years. I started leaking and would cycle about once a month. My kid now has it and it is only pressurized when his truck needs air in the tires. It came with a brad nail gun. Both have served me very well.

At Lowes I purchased a 6 gallon pancake model. Made in the US but under the new Craftsman brand. I'm 79 this summer. Then 79 plus 25 is 104. I have no intention of worrying about longevity of the compressor for whom ever my wife sells it to.

Both were oil-less and no complaints about the technology.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya know .... sometimes one compressor is just not enough! o_O
The pancake type is great for carrying around in the truck and lifting up on scaffolds and ladders if need be.
The 2 HP is great for under the workbench used for small spray jobs and blowing out sawdust.
The 5 HP is what I use for sand/media blasting, the grease gun, impact drivers, inflating truck tires and spray painting outdoors.
Thanks for the information :love:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh goodness.
About 26 years ago I bought a Devilbiss compressor when the Eagle hardware chain was going out of business. I left it pressurized all those years. I started leaking and would cycle about once a month. My kid now has it and it is only pressurized when his truck needs air in the tires. It came with a brad nail gun. Both have served me very well.

At Lowes I purchased a 6 gallon pancake model. Made in the US but under the new Craftsman brand. I'm 79 this summer. Then 79 plus 25 is 104. I have no intention of worrying about longevity of the compressor for whom ever my wife sells it to.

Both were oil-less and no complaints about the technology.
Will you share your Craftsman air compressor model number?

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,066 Posts
A good shop compressor will have a 13+ constant CFM... But I'm in for air sanding..I wish I had made this my #1 priority 25 years ago..

·
Smart and Cool
2,233 Posts
What I have learned is that bigger, is better.

I suffered with undersized compressors for years, never wanted to spend the extra for a larger compressor. Picked up a larger machine about 10 years ago and all of that changed, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
Bah humbug
4,066 Posts
Why I consider the compressor the heart of the shop and not the saw. But.... this depends on what you expect from it it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts