Woodworking Talk banner

How to burn in groove with what I have on hand

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dvoigt 
#1 ·
So I'm doing a few turnings today and wanted to add in some grooves and burn them for some added effect. I know that you can buy burning tools (wire on a stick) and you can use a panio wire... but I don't have either and didn't want to go out to buy one.

So what else can be used so do this?

Thanks,
Derek

#2 ·
Very simple.I use a very thin piece of Maple.Just get you a 3/4" piece of maple (other woods would probally work) and take it to your tablesaw and set your saw where it will just cut it about 1/16" thick (mine is about 12" long)and when you make your groove in your piece just hold your piece of wood against the groove for about 20 seconds or so and it will start somking.There you have my method.I watched a demonstrator from Woodcraft do that and I thought that was neat.It's worked everytime for me so far.I keep different thickness of maple for different widths of grooves.:thumbsup:
Donny

#5 ·
I tried a lot of wire in my shop one day. About the only thing that didn't work was braided picture hanging wire. It's all about speed and pressure. Enough of either one and you get enough friction to burn.
I've also used a piece of formica, and a sliver of hardwood like ebony or Padauk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.