Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just put a new article online detailing the method I use to build chess boards (usually out of scrap pieces of lumber). I was encouraged by some friends to get this all down.

It's my most detailed article yet, at over 5,100 words and with 64 step-by-step photos (even more detailed than my software articles!), so I'd appreciate any input you all have!

http://plans.thefrankes.com/Tutorials/ChessBoard/

I still need to get my wife to copy edit it for details (handy to have a copy editor under the same roof!) and add metric units to go along with the English units, but at least it's out there now!

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
That's pretty neat. Or you could cut the board pieces on the bandsaw with a rip fence, square them up on a stationary belt sander and glue them to a substrate grain oriented. Then carve the pieces...forget carving the pieces, the board took 1/2 day, I will never tell how many hours I had in the crudely carved pieces. I was a bid job, :censored: and I am no carver.

The customer wanted all eastern red cedar, pieces and all. The board is a lid to a box that stores the chess pieces and a set of checker pieces also made from erc. I used red heartwood for 1/2 the chess/checker pieces and white sapwood for the other.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Alex,
Nice tutorial. I bet it took about 5 times as long to document the process as it does to build it. I like the idea of attaching the blocks to a backer sheet, that would have saved mine. I made a full chess set about 15 years ago (pieces and all). The board has crack down the middle, it's tight during the summer but opens up in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Daren. While you did a great job on that project, that has got to be the ugliest chess board I've ever seen. Not the workmanship, but the choice of all erc. I would have hated doing that project. Not that I could, anyway.

PS: I'll bet it smells nice though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are correct on the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And the customer is always right (even when they're wrong):yes: . I guess I'm more of a fan of contrast, so the second board you posted is right up my alley. I hope you understand I was not criticizing your workmanship in any way. Heck, all I can do is make boxes, and am probably the least talented member on here. I wish I could make a chess set. I love the game.
Boxer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bet it took about 5 times as long to document the process as it does to build it
Yeah, pretty much. Except this time I was stopping every few minutes to take a picture, so this one took a a bit longer than the others. Plus, I do a lot of waiting for glue to dry on these things, so it's a great project when you have small kids at home and only get to spend 15 minutes at a time in the shop. ;)

I liked the idea of using grain direction to differentiate between white/black squares in the ERC board, but I can't think of an easy way to do that short of cutting out 64 individually perfect squares... ugh.

Making one carved into a coffee table top
Please post a pic when it's done!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I liked the idea of using grain direction to differentiate between white/black squares in the ERC board, but I can't think of an easy way to do that short of cutting out 64 individually perfect squares... ugh.
I couldn't either :laughing:, that's how I did it.

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
When I make chess boards I glue contrasting wood strips together... totaling 4 strips. Then cross rip the glued strips . You can make whatever size squares you want. Put the board together in 4 pieces 2 at a time. Run each half through the planer at a slight angle and then glue the two halves. Then put a boarder around it . I hope that is not confusing...all the grain points the same direction...making a board is almost like playing chess!!!

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
You know... just flip each cross ripped piece 180 degrees making 4 sections ... kind of hard to explain I guess... works for me!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
very nice tutorial. you did an excellent job.
How did you make the sled for the ryobi table saw?
I have the same saw and would like to have a sled but haven't figured out a good way to do it. Did you drill through the sliding table?
thanks
tvarch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts