Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rich
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a hobbyer, not a business person...so i do it for fun!
however, every now and then a relative or friend wants me to make something for them and i relent. i hate making things to order. i want the design / project to be mine to make, not theirs.
so for example, my sister wanted me to carve a sewing basket for another relative as a gift for xmas. i spent about 75 hours and about $15 for materials on the gift and she gave me $100. about $1 per hour. i was happy to make the gift to my design, but realize that i didn't make money to speak of. i would have made it for free for her, but she wanted me to make a little money out of it.
now for a buyer that isn't a relative or friend i've sold a few carvings and donated some for charity. so far i've never gotten more than $1 per hour for my labor and that means to me that my projects or skills or business head is way out of align. if i price things too high, they don't get sold. but if i price them too low, i make no money to speak of.
so what do you folks do when it is a hobby and someone wants to buy
a project?

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm in the same place. I know I wont make money. Only a little to reinvest in tools. But I do it because I love it and the satisfaction of seeing them happy with my work.

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
That would be a difficult question. Labor charges vary a great deal around the country and what you are doing is more artistic than laborer. Even though you are doing it for fun I would try to get at least ten dollars an hour. There is really no point to putting your efforts into something for free. I'm sure you could find some thing you could make for yourself if it's a labor of love.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I get a lot of requests from family, friends and people who know of me, usually through my wifes facepage thing.
Here's my deal. If I'm making something as a gift, I care not how long it takes or the materials involved as it's a gift and it comes from the heart. Now if my FIL asks me to make him something or Maryjane from my wifes work asks for something built I treat it like a job. I take my material cost and double it, then I charge between
$55-$85 an hour depending on the project.

Haven't had anyone complain yet!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hate to say but it depends. I make and sell pens for $20-30 but they take me less than 30 minutes to make. I'm in the same spot as you, mostly a hobbyist and have a day job. I usually just price things based on if I want to do it. If they really want me to make something but I don't, I charge a lot of money. That way if they are good with it, it makes it worth it. On the other hand, I make good money on pens versus time spent. So I find $20-$30 per pen acceptable for most people and I can make enough to buy a new bushing set or tool in no time.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
I would be looking at $45 - $75 p/h

If I do something for free then it is for free or I might do something at cost, materials only.

I don't do in between, as soon as you do say $25 p/h they expect a $75 p/h job. It is all or nothing.

If it is just a hobby in retirement definitely no less than $10 p/h and I would suggest heading for $25 minimum. I suggest that for your sake at the sake of others who rely on their 'hobby' for an income

1 - 6 of 6 Posts