Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all intents and purposes, how much of a power difference is a 2.0 HP Router to a 2.5 HP Router?

Along those same lines, how about between 12 AMP and 14 AMP?

·
7,222 Posts
The amps are meaningful.

A 14amp unit should produce up to 14 / 12 x more power than the 12 amp, which is a 16+ % more power.

How much extra power depends on a lot of factor, such as the relative efficiency of the respective motors, which is never specified.

In my opinion, HP ratings of routers are not meaningful. Only the amperage ratings are meaningful.

I have a 2HP motor on my bandsaw. It runs on 240V and is a decent size. It is not possible for a "real" 2HP motor to run on a normal 15 amp 120V circuit.

·
where's my table saw?
28,616 Posts
which routers are you looking at?

For all intents and purposes, how much of a power difference is a 2.0 HP Router to a 2.5 HP Router?

Never heard of a 14 AMP router, since most of the "big boys" PC 7518 and Milwaukee 5625, are 15 AMPS.
Here's a whole page full.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category/300110
I just bought another Porter Cable 690, and it was $99.95 :thumbsup: now it's $109.95, still a great router at a good price.

SHOP AROUND!
The Milwaukee 5625 on Amazon is $480+
Milwaukee 5625-20 15 Amp 3-1/2-Horsepower Fixed Base Variable Speed Router with T-Handle Height Adjustment Wrench and 1/2-Inch Collet - Amazon.com

From Grizzly it's $259.95:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-1-2-HP-Router/H7022

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
7,222 Posts
That difference should be noticeable, but you may also find that a 12 amp router will do quite a bit for you.
I have a Bosch 1617EVS which is a 12 amp motor. I have used this in my router table for perhaps 10 years. I have not felt it was underpowered.

I like to take multiple passes with large diameter bits, or deep cuts. Less tearout issues, less vibration.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you were looking to upgrade I would tell you not to bother; but since you are buying your first...
They are approximately the same size and no one ever complained they had too much power. Buy bigger.

I have one Craftsman router made by Bosch, and I got it 80% off on clearance. It is fine. Otherwise I would never consider buying a Craftsman tool.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have both, although the 12 amp I have is this model:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12.0...p-00927669000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Differences between the 2:
- Very good build quality vs. excellent
- 14A is beefier
- Plunge bases are very similar; the 14A's has nicer tweaks to it but the cores are the same.
- From a power perspective, very close. I imagine a hard core router pro would be able to tell more easily. Neither has balked at anything I've thrown at them.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Of those two I would definitely go with the bigger one. I have looked at it and it has good reviews if I remember correctly.

I would also look at Porta Cable, Dewalt, Or even Rigid. Most of the other ones I would recommend are higher priced Hitachi or Triton.

I have two Porta Cables (1.75 hp) which each came with either multiple bases or a ROS and both cost $150. I would Highly recommend.

A Dewalt (2.5 hp) came with 3 bases and I got it on sale for $36. What a steal

A Triton (3Hp).which I just recently got but it is for mounting in a table

A Rigid trim router (excellent)

A Ryobi (1.5hp) is ok but was a Christmas gift from my son. Otherwise I would not recommend it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have the pro model....and would buy another in a heartbeat. Great router for the price.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If I was buying my first, or just adding to the several I have, I would buy something about the size and weight of the average 1 1/2 = 1 3/4 hp for overall use including for table use. If you can find more power in the same size, great. My 2 favorites are the PC 690 and the Bosch of the comparative power. Don't know the model number off the top of my head. They will do 95% of the work most people need to do. They just seem "right" sized.

The big routers like the PC 7518 3hp+ (true hp is about 1 1/2) have their place, but if I was serious about using bigger cutters like panel raisers I would get a shaper. I see a lot of good/great deals on craigslist. forget anything that runs on 110v. Cutters are a bit more, but you won't be buying expensive router lifts, building router cabinets... but that is a whole different story.

·
Registered
473 Posts

2.5hp is 25% more than 2 hp. If you want to look at it the other way round, 2hp is 20% less than 2.5 hp. Either way, you'll probably notice the extra weight/ awkwardness more than the hp difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts