Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have seen items that have been powder coated, and I was so impressed by the quality of finish, and the durability. If this rig is any good it would be great to have. The only drawback is that if you have large items to do you would need a pretty big oven, or access to one. For small stuff though, this is great. I didn't think you could get one that cheap. Sure gets you thinking.

Gerry

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just be sure to figure in the cost

of an old oven to be rigged up outside the house for curing. There are fumes associated with curing powder paints and you would not survive the beating your wife would supply when she saw this going into and out of her oven. Secondly, consider pretreatment. The finish will only be as reliable as the pretreatment is thorough. The best at home pretreatment would be sand blasting though a thorough hand sanding will make a good runner up. Make sure that all your threads and close tolerance surfaces are masked with a high temperature masking tape and you will avoid assembly problems after painting. Professional powder coaters can hold their film build to about .003" per side. Do it yourselfers with no experience may get a much thicker film with very little effort.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts