Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used wipe-on ploy for most of my recent efforts because it helps me avoid the runs, drips, and sags I suffered with brush on. But I'm never sure how many coats is 'enough'. For instance on an end table I might put 4 or 5 coats on the sides and legs and 8 or 10 coats on the top, allowing each to dry for a day and rubbing with 0000 steel wool in between coats.

At the end of it all, on wood like red oak I can still feel the pores of the grain. Should I keep applying more poly until it feels like glass or is it normal to still feel the grain on a finished project?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am a first time user of the wipe on poly as well. I have found that you need a whole lot more coats to get a decent finish than with the spray on stuff I was using. I have decided to go back to the spray on stuff and add a heat lamp to the mix to reduce runs/drips.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Cabinetman. I'll experiment with the grain filler next time. But at least I now know that adding more coats of poly will probably never get to "glass smooth".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts