Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 6 cutting boards to make. I have one and a half almost completed, waiting on the purchase of a bench planer to finish those. Right now I'm jointing and surface planing each board on a 4 1/8" bench joiner. :eek:

My daughter in law wants a 6 cubicle wall unit that will hold large tubs or baskets of toys for my 2 1/2 YO grandson.

My son wants a small box to keep his 'sentimental' things in. I have had one since he was little and he enjoyed going through it with me on occasions. I figure on 2 of these, one for him and one for my son in law.

My wife wants a cherry table for her reading room to use as a laptop desk, small with 1 front drawer.

Somewhere in there I need to work in gifts for both my grandsons, I have no clue what those will be. One is 2 1/2 and the other is 6 months. God forbid though that I make something for one and not the other! :laughing:

The planer is really holding me up right now. I know I could use a block plane, but my arthritis just won't let me do that. I guess a trip to my father in law is in order to get what wood I have planed. At least I got a jump on some of those projects.

I think I'll be lucky to get them all done. :no:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I actually need to make myself a list. I also have a wedding after the first if the year I need to plan for as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure how many yet, though I have one for sure. I sure do hope I'm not wrapping late Christmas Eve again, hoping the finish is dry enough not to stick to the wrapping paper..!:no: Perhaps get an earlier start; nah, I always work best under pressure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually shocked I got started as early as I did. This year I'm strong out of the gate....but may not have the legs to finish!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hoping to be able to make the coffee table my wife wants. Ill probably knock out smaller stuff for my other family in relatively short time.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Too many family members to think about... I make a big item for the church Christmas fair and promise 1 big item for a son (yearly rotation between 4 sons). If I have the time, I add whatever small "surprise" items I can. We are tough skinned folks and don't get hurt easily. We all know we all love each other and life marches on! As for the wife... we decided many years ago to never exchange gifts. After 38 very years, we know where we stand. We treat ourselves throughout the year and are both focused on our 4 sons and 5 grand daughters...

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I try to make some thing for each family.

Special cases get special gifts. (graduations girl get table for apartment at school. )

Last year I also made Christmas Ornaments for each household. (with special request chest of drawers from daughter).

The only limit I make on gifts is that if it takes more than one person to carry it, it has no time limit. (I'm retired and I don't do deadlines anymore.)

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Well I'd like to say "all I can" but you know how that goes.
My band saw is down & needs a coupla parts so that's holding a lotta stuff up.
I don't have the skills yet to take on anything too complex but I do try to push the envelope a bit on any new project.
I owe a lot of thanks to the gang here on WWT for advice, links, videos & etc. I've learned a lot.
Patience is probably the biggest obstacle I've tackled... walk away & come back tomorrow.. BEFORE you get mad!!

·
Procrastinator (For now.)
142 Posts
I'm making 6 wall clocks, one for each of our children. The design I made is based on a Greene and Greene clock I saw on-line. I purchased the plans to make the construction part easier but my design greatly alters the look and size of the one of the plans. About half-way through with the first one and it should move and flow a lot easier when all the kinks are worked out. I'm using battery operated Seiko pendulum movements that are supposed to be extremely reliable.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Awe! Who's thinking of Christmas yet? last year I kind of self volunteered to make stuff for a kids Halloween party on base (long story). After that they want more this year, but my wife and I decided to add a couple different designs. They're easy, but it takes time. I haven't figured any new ones out yet. Skull? House? Cat? Bat? I try to make them with curves so I can make a template and finish with a pattern bit on the router table.

Last years designs... I wish I would have taken photos from what the kids created. Some were actually pretty clever!

edit:I should add these are for the kids to paint and decorate.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have plans for two toy trucks for the kids. It's an excellent excuse to pick up a bandsaw :). the wife is getting some type of bench for the bed. still working on plans for the parents. Unfortunately the gifts for the parents need to be shipped. It really limits the what can be made. I'm sure some of these will be turned into birthday gifts for next year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My daughter just called...she NEEDS a wine rack for a party coming up. Doesn't she know it's squirrel season here? I told her if she wanted it, she'd have to come over and we'd make it together.

She'll be over Saturday.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Bumpus said:
My daughter just called...she NEEDS a wine rack for a party coming up. Doesn't she know it's squirrel season here? I told her if she wanted it, she'd have to come over and we'd make it together.

She'll be over Saturday.
I hope my boys will grow up and come back to work in the shop. Enjoy it.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Bumpus said:

She'll be over Saturday.
I can only hope my daughter appreciates and takes an interest in woodworking at some point. She's 17 now @ ALL girl LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Burb & Irish... that's why I said she could come over and we'd do it together. She's 24 and just had a baby at the end of May. My son in law will be working on the farm getting ready for harvest, Maw maw will get to spend time with our grandson while we're in the shop. In not too many years, I'll get him in the shop. :yes: I love it when a plan comes together!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Bumpus said:
Burb & Irish... that's why I said she could come over and we'd do it together. She's 24 and just had a baby at the end of May. My son in law will be working on the farm getting ready for harvest, Maw maw will get to spend time with our grandson while we're in the shop. In not too many years, I'll get him in the shop. :yes: I love it when a plan comes together!
LOL. Yup, seems like you got it all figured out. I hope I'm as lucky.

My boss had his first grandson a few months ago and has been given "permission" to buy some new tools for grand baby projects...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Maybe this post goes in the micro-rant thread because my gripe is petty.

This is the first year of woodworking where I think my skills and tools are good enough to make gifts that are up to my standards. But my wife, who made it possible for me to get serious about woodworking in the first place, won't leave a single weekend unplanned. Oh, I enjoy most of he planned activities, but she won't be enjoying any Christmas gifts from my shop.

So my answer is nada. None. Zilch. Maybe next year.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Make her something anyway.

In addition to whatever is planned. Get romantic and tell her you wanted her to have the first Christmas Gift you ever made as a wood worker and they will get better in the years to come.

You will not be sorry

1 - 20 of 70 Posts