Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished a piece with Watco Danish oil last night, and expected to do a second coat this morning. The end grain seems to be oozing oil in places, as though it hadn't soaked in. Even after wiping it off it keeps showing up in small dribs.

I assume this is normal (I never used an oil finish before) and I wonder if it's ok to do a second coat or should I wait for the first to completely dry and how long might that take?

I want to put some wax in it for the final stage.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
According to Flexner, Watco isn't really an oil finish...but just a wiping varnish. That aside, what kinf od wood is this? Sometimes woods like read oak will ooze finish because of their cellular structure. Your method of application is almost a consideration. Watco should be put on in thin coats, being wiped on. Too much and it will soak into the porous surface, only to re emerge, more true on end grain than the surface. I don't think I would put on more until it stops oozing, at the point things should be fairly well sealed and you can proceed as normal. Generally I'll apply wiping varnish in sets of 3 coats, then wait a day and repeat (usually only once). If all the planets are aligned, I can recoat within an hour or so...but lower temps can make that a little longer wait.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
According to Flexner, Watco isn't really an oil finish...but just a wiping varnish. That aside, what kinf od wood is this? Sometimes woods like read oak will ooze finish because of their cellular structure. Your method of application is almost a consideration. Watco should be put on in thin coats, being wiped on. Too much and it will soak into the porous surface, only to re emerge, more true on end grain than the surface. I don't think I would put on more until it stops oozing, at the point things should be fairly well sealed and you can proceed as normal. Generally I'll apply wiping varnish in sets of 3 coats, then wait a day and repeat (usually only once). If all the planets are aligned, I can recoat within an hour or so...but lower temps can make that a little longer wait.
+1. :yes: I agree that Watco is a wiping mix, not just an oil. I would guess that the endgrain may not be "oozing" but just not drying. Overnight, and your ambient conditions may just not be enough time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Fred - and you're right of course, it's a wiping varnish. I used a foam brush to apply the first coat. I'll use a paper towel for the second coat after it stops oozing (or drying, whatever). The project came from my workshop where it's 10 degrees cooler than where I finished it, so it's possible that the wood was warming up over night after finish was applied. I only see the wet spots on the end grain of Bubinga.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What you are experiencing is called "bleed back". It's quite common, and to be expected, with an oil/varnish mixture finish like Watco. As the oil cures it gets warmer and partially forces the oil of the wood Just go back every 15-20 minutes and wipe it off. It will stop with a couple of hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts