Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about buying a Wynn Cartridge filter for my Harbor Freight Dust Collector. I’ve never used one, but my experience is that filter cartages don’t last very long and I don’t want to be buying these a couple of times a year. Can they be cleaned? I would like it to last a couple or 3 years at least.

Reactions: SteveEl

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
In two Ridgid shop vacs I put a some Clear stream HEPA filters. That was over 10 years ago. Every other time that I empty the shop vacs I also clean the filters with a shop vac.

As for the full size Dust Collector, My preference is a set of 1 micron bags from Penn State Industries. They seem to work very well. I run a galvanized trash can separator in front of the dust collector. The trash can stops all the saw, router, jointer and planer shavings. The bottom bag on the dust collector traps all the wood flour.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rich, I forgot about the micron bags, I’ll have to take a look at those as well.

I bought a small galvanized trash can to make a separator, but I just don’t have the room to put it. It looks like the plastic bag on the HF dust collector is doing pretty good, so I don’t think I really need a separator although I don’t know about a cartage filter. I just now hooked up a jointer to the HF DC so that’s going to fill up a lot faster now and the trash can maybe too small anyway.

I have a small 5 gal bucket separator attached to my miter saw because my ShopVac would clog up within a month and it’s been over a year since I’ve had to change the filter with the bucket.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at Penn State Industries for the 1 micron bags to fit Harbor Freight and I just can’t make any sense out of their site. I don’t believe they make one for HF or at least I can’t find one.

I found a
Dust Collector Bag ($30) and a Big Horn 11765 20-Inch Diameter 1-Micron Filter Bag for ($55) on Amazon

I don’t know if there are others, but I’ve decided that I’m not going to spend the money right now for a cartridge. It’s a lot of money to spend and I just have the worst luck with cartridge type of filters.

Anyway I'm now still looking for 1 micron bags. :smile:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I just replaced the one on my Oneida this past year, it was 6 years old. Because this DC puts all the finest dust into the filter, and I use my drum sander a lot; I was cleaning it a lot. Twice per drum of chips. That cleaning was a multiple step process, but always included blowing it out (from the outside). I've heard that some of them can be rinsed with water, but never tried it. Anyway, I replaced mine when I could no longer get it clean enough to maximize air flow (there's a gauge on my system).

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
6 years is good that would be like $25 a year for the medium priced one. I don't do a lot off sanding and when I do its usually outside, but that's rough in the winters.

I searched the Wynn site for washing and couldn't find anything about it, but I did see someplace that the warranty would be void if washed on another filter.

It looks like that Diesel filter is washable.

I wash my ShopVac filters and they don't last long. I think the soap and water actually destroys them

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 to this, I have been doing mine for at least 3 years. I made a cyclone DC and have not cleaned mine for 6 months now still no dust in the bag.
I’m a little confused. So if I understand this correctly you’ve had your filter for 3 years and have not cleaned it for 6 months?

Cleaning it by blowing it out occasionally is not a problem. I want to know how long do I have before I have to replace it. Over 3 years is OK. $50 per year is marginal and $150 per year is out of the question based on the cost of it today.

I would be ordering one right now if I knew for sure it was going to last 6 years before I have to replace it and I’m not talking about cleaning. Cleaning is free and not a problem.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Go with a Wynn. You'll be glad you did. Once or twice a year I take mine off, outside and with the leaf blower clean it out. Been doing this for 2 years with no ill effects.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
I’m a little confused. So if I understand this correctly you’ve had your filter for 3 years and have not cleaned it for 6 months?

Cleaning it by blowing it out occasionally is not a problem. I want to know how long do I have before I have to replace it. Over 3 years is OK. $50 per year is marginal and $150 per year is out of the question based on the cost of it today.

I would be ordering one right now if I knew for sure it was going to last 6 years before I have to replace it and I’m not talking about cleaning. Cleaning is free and not a problem.
Just call Wynn, they are very nice and helpful. They will tell you the in's and out's before you buy. You should blow out the filter and never use a mechanical "scraper" on the inside. It takes a toll on the filter.

How long you get out of your filter will depend on your DC setup. If you do not use a Thein seperator or a cyclone of any kind, you will have more dust in your filter. What tools you use and what type of dust them make will also help determine your cleaning and replacement schedules. I know of a good many people that have had their Wynn/HF DC for more than 4 years and still going strong. They all have a Thein or some other type of separator in the mix.

A 1 micron bag will not even come close to capturing the most harmful part of the dust. To get near capturing most of it, you need half micron or better. The Wynns are .5 micron. Below half micron gets real expensive.

Paul

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just call Wynn, they are very nice and helpful. They will tell you the in's and out's before you buy. ......
:huh:What! They’re real people and not corporate sales goons telling you what you want to hear to make a sale? LOL :laughing:

Thanks Paul, I'll do that as long as they are just regular people.:smile:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Sleeper said:
:huh:What! They’re real people and not corporate sales goons telling you what you want to hear to make a sale? LOL :laughing: Thanks Paul, I'll do that as long as they are just regular people.:smile:
I talked to the owner when I called.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Yes after using my cyclone DC which is also 6 months old I have not had to clean my cartridge filter for 6 months. Originally I had a modified Thien and than a full Thien separator, and I was still getting dust in the plastic collection bag. How there is no dust in the collection bag and at my lathe I am still getting the same suction value that I originally had six months ago. I have had my Wynn cartridge filter for 3 years. I was cleaning it about every 3 months until I made the cyclone DC.

I think based on your cleaning method and the type of DC system separator you have will determine the longevity of the filter. I can say for sure it will last 3 years and counting based on my experience and using a leaf blower to clean the filter.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes after using my cyclone DC which is also 6 months old I have not had to clean my cartridge filter for 6 months. Originally I had a modified Thien and than a full Thien separator, and I was still getting dust in the plastic collection bag. How there is no dust in the collection bag and at my lathe I am still getting the same suction value that I originally had six months ago. I have had my Wynn cartridge filter for 3 years. I was cleaning it about every 3 months until I made the cyclone DC.

I think based on your cleaning method and the type of DC system separator you have will determine the longevity of the filter. I can say for sure it will last 3 years and counting based on my experience and using a leaf blower to clean the filter.
OK then, well that's good news if it will last that long. I can see if you went from cleaning every 3 months to 6 months that would be a big plus on the filter life span.
So I guess I should really be thinking about building a cyclone. so I just did a quick search and saw that there were a lot listed. Which one did you build?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It looks like that Diesel filter is washable

That's the one the link goes to. The cartridges are the same for many trucks as the Wynn. The truck filters will catch just as much fine dust as the "Wynn". The filters HAVE to be able to catch the fine along with the larger particles on a diesel engine(or any engine), the engine wouldn't last long if it didn't. You can always go to truck parts house and check them out. Wynn just markets the same thing to woodworkers for a higher price.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cyclone Separator

I’ve been looking into the Cyclone Dust Collector and I am pretty impressed. I probably will never need to replace the Wynn Filter if I had a cyclone.
I really like the $149 Cyclone Separator sold on eBay, but the $39 shipping is just too much and I would probably buy it if I were nearby and could pick it up myself.

I also watched a video from JordsWoodShop in Australia that I could make myself with a few modifications of my own. My biggest problem is the size of the large 4” hose models and I just don’t know where I can put it.

I’m also thinking of maybe buying the small Molded Dust Deputy Cyclone from WoodCraft and use it with a separate ShopVac for my two sanders and router table on the other side of the shop which would reduce some of the fine dust that may clog up the Wynn Filter, 1 micron bag, or whatever I use for a filter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts