Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a solid walnut console, and I can't figure out how to achieve that finish.

I love this sort of mixed finish on the sliding doors, yet I have no idea how it's done since the whole piece is solid walnut.

How do you vary the shades of each board if it's using the same wood?

·
Registered
618 Posts
sammyjoe said:
This is a solid walnut console, and I can't figure out how to achieve that finish. I love this sort of mixed finish on the sliding doors, yet I have no idea how it's done since the whole piece is solid walnut. How do you vary the shades of each board if it's using the same wood?
That isn't from finishing. That is from different boards. The lightest shades is sapwood. Walnut can vary quite a bit color-wise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh...so you just need to pick the boards you want when you buy I assume.

Thank you for the reply! Now to experiment with various oils to get the right shades.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
What they said. You just need some floor space to sort boards.
Maybe cut long ones, fit them in so you don't wind up with all dark top or bottom, one end or the other.
Maybe it's just the contrast, but the sap wood sure is bright.

Western Red Cedar is like that. Most of my wood carvings start as shake blocks, 6" x 8" x 24". Sometimes, I get lucky and get some with sapwood that isn't mud-dirty.
OK. Sapwood stripe in the middle of a glue-up? Down each side? Maybe cut it off entirely? (That means save that block and pick another one.)

·
Registered
27,660 Posts
ahh...so you just need to pick the boards you want when you buy I assume.

Thank you for the reply! Now to experiment with various oils to get the right shades.
When a walnut grows the outer rings next to the bark are nearly snow white and toward the center of the tree has the darker rich color. This white wood is called sapwood. It's real common especially on cheaper grades of lumber so if you like it try to find that grade. It's really considered a defect and the lumber graders usually pull out the boards that are all heartwood for the FAS grade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.