Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you polish/buff Soft plastic? By ‘soft’ I mean stuff like food containers, plastic parts boxes and so on.

Over the years I’ve Googled this a handful of times and even though the title will say ‘soft’ plastic, they all show how to buff out hard plastic. I learned that in shop class.

A couple of examples I’d like to do: say you microwave food a little too long and the container get a little rough in spots and you’d like to smooth them out. Or you have a nice plastic parts box that is scratched up from use and you want to clean up its appearance some.

The few things I’ve tried all make things worse.

Any ideas?

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,296 Posts
I honestly don't think you can. We have a couple of Rubbermaid containers that got too hot in the microwave and the food blistered the sides of the containers. The plastic will melt easily from the friction of sanding, polishing, etc. They get their smooth surface from the mold when they are made. We live with it or toss it. Also, these plastics are really tough to glue when a lid cracks from age, use, or dishwasher chemicals. I have successfully glued a couple of lids with e6000, but you have to hand wash in cool water or the repair will eventually fail. These items don't make for heirlooms very well.

Reactions: Kudzu
1 - 4 of 4 Posts