Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to match the style, wood and finish of this wainscot. The style and color isn't a problem, but the finish is. The pic isn't that good. Basically, the way it was treated the seams in the plywood show through (which he wants), yet there isn't any blotching in the rest of the wood (this is all knotty pine). I tried several blotch control methods but then the plywood doesn't stain right. If I go without the blotch control, the solid wood blotches bad. So, I guess this is a multi step process? Any ideas to try would be appreciated :icon_smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
As light as it is you shouldn't have that much trouble with it blotching. I don't really use store bought wood conditioners. I just mix linseed oil 50/50 with mineral spirits and let dry before staining. Unless the photo is deceptive it appears it has a pickle finish on it. That is where there is some white paint applied to it and the majority of it is wiped off leaving paint in the cracks and crevices. You would first stain the wood to the stain color. Then seal it and apply the finish and then put the white paint on last. For this I use Promar exterior alkyd flat enamel from Sherwin Williams. It is just a flat oil based enamel which I thin a great deal in order to spray it on. It can be worked by hand but easier to spray. I just spray over the finish and use a clean dry cloth and wipe off the excess paint. For what you have that is really thin it may be necessary to use a little mineral spirits on a rag to take the majority off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here is a slightly better pic. Here is what I have so far:

1 I used a spay of water to raise the knap, let it dry and lightly sanded.
2 I used Mohagany dye and Cordovan dye in a blend and applied over a water wetted surface.
3. Used a water base sealer over that.
4. Used a water based sealer with a hint of white to "wash it"

The match is very very close. But the existing finish has a fine splatter of black speckles. My trial has the speckles to large. How do I make them smaller?

Finally the "overall" sheen has a slightly golden or amber color that almost looks like aging, how can I get that same warm tone to the top coat?

Attachments

·
Registered
27,758 Posts
The black specks are called flyspeck. It is available in aerosol can but no more than I do it I mix some thin black paint and spatter it on with the bristles of an old toothbrush. It's one of those things you have to tinker with the paint solution to get it thinned right but try it on some scrap wood. As far as the sheen I would try a satin or flat finish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts