Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I want to make this in white. It seems to be thicker wood that 3/4in. I have some cabinet grade plywood I can utilize. I would need to make the ends smooth, however. I guess I could glue two pieces of plywood together and use a veneer on the ends to get the thickness. What type of wood would you use?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Looks like a basik box. Plywood is fine. You can use a rabbit on the top and bo.ttom board. What is the quality of plywood? Glue and clamp it. Make surr it square as it drys. You can trim the exposed edges of the plywood with any wood you like.

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
From your description if it was me I would laminate two pieces of 3/4" birch plywood together, veneer tape the edges and miter the joints at the top and bottom. That way you wouldn't have the 1/8" overhang as the one shown. If you made a flush seam the joint would always show from wood expansion. Birch plywood is easily painted which you could prime and paint after it is assembled and sanded. If you want it that glossy, I would use an oil based enamel. Being glossy the finish will need sprayed. Glossy white shows every tiny defect so brush marks would be intolerable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts