Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummmmmmmmmmmm.. This is my grandfather's stuff.

I reckon this piece is in the area of 30 years old.

If I choose to resand then stain then i would have to re-stain the whole thing as I don't know what stain my grandpa used.

I never ever thought of changing my grandfather's stuff.

But I'm sure he would prefer I get this ugly circle off, thou.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really sure, I know it's food based ring coming off a cup or something.

the finish??? I haven't a clue. Never asked my dad or grandfather.

could be anything from miniwax to poly - ?

My Gallery has another angle pic of this table

·
Registered
714 Posts
You are going to be pretty safe with trying naptha (lighter fluid) or mineral spirits to try and get the ring off. Make sure you rub with the grain.
I would then go on to Goof-Off but would try it in an inconspicuous spot first. That stuff is pretty amazing.
Can you feel the ring with your finger...is it raised?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all 3 ? the answer is no.

Goof-Off, what's that?

I've seen Goop but not Goof-Off.

·
johnep
2,057 Posts
The rings black appearance may mean that a fungus has grown there in the past-- perhaps feeding on drink residue. A very week bleach soln would be the answer in that case. But try on very small area first.

We are just in process of having our dining room table completely refinished ($400) to remove surface rings etc.
johnep

·
Registered
148 Posts
You might consider going to the auto parts store and getting a can of polishing compound. Just go very lightly with it, taking off a little at a time, and then buff off the residue.

I'd suggest finding a bottle of Macguires No.2 Fine Cut Cleaner. That oughta do the trick, if the ring hasn't sunk too far down into the wood.

Good luck!

·
johnep
2,057 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Using metal polish was also suggested for removing rings on highly polished furniture.
johnep

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try some 600 sand paper and lightly sand a small section and see if it starts to come off. It may just be in the top layer and not actually in the wood grain. I have had similar stains and had good luck getting them off.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I know this is gonna sound strange but, I've seen my mother remove rings from her furniture with mayo........put a little dab on a soft cloth and rub it it and the wipe off. I would try it first in a hidden spot just to be safe.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok guys...

due to my toddler's deal with markers [yes she put marks on my table [the one with the black circle on it]!
THIS MADE ME GET OFF MY CAN

I've tried water first - only the top layer of marker came off.
Then I tried toothpaste [on the black circle too] - no go.

Then I tried baking soda..... that works [w/some water].

The marker came off [thank god]

The black ring seems muted or dulled. It is still there, however. The ring now less color, has some sort of shadow to it on the outer edges.

Now the finish is also dull. I've tapped some baby oil in for ...now.

I will try the other suggestions and post the results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts