Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, brand new to woodworking and I was hoping to get some advice on how to finish this interesting piece I have (image below). It's built from about 200 1/2" cubes glued together. There are hundreds of small nooks and crannies that are totally unreachable for sandpaper or cloth. I need a way to finish this where I can just apply one coat without sanding and where wiping off all excess finish isn't necessary. It would also be nice if I could darken the wood but that's not as crucial.

I know nothing about the wood it's made from (I really do know very little about woodworking). The grain on the blocks is randomly placed so it would be nice to use a finish that doesn't darken the end grain well beyond the flat grain. It will eventually be a hanging light fixture so the finish doesn't need to be durable, this is more for aesthetic purposes.

From my (brief) research it looks like my best options are either a polyurethane spray or just a liberal coat of mineral oil that I wipe down as well as possible.

Any recommendations/advice is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
26,382 Posts
I think you need a paint sprayer and finish it with lacquer. If that isn't possible then the fast dry polyurethane in a rattle can. The finish will still need to be sanded between coats is why lacquer would be the best choice. A lacquer sanding sealer would be very easy to sand.

·
Senior Woodworker
2 Posts
The blocks look like hardwood and nicely sanded. Leave them alone. Don't spray anything. The project will last a long time as is as long as you are using it inside.

·
Chair maker
2 Posts
if you must seal it, I would suggest immersing it completely in 50/50 linseed oil/turpentine or white spirit.
At that dilution the mix is very fluid and it will penetrate fairly quickly .
Leave it overnight, then let it drain and air dry in a dust free environment until it is completely dry , then do it again. Each time it will dry more slowly and each time it will leave a stronger semi-gloss.
But you must let each treament dry completely; if you don't, the finish will be soft and easily attract dust.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts