Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
I constantly toss gloves, just for the fact that I work in a lab so I acquire boxes at a time...they make great glue spreaders lol. As for hitting up Home Depot, check the trash cans. I was needing just a short piece of scrap 2x4 once and after being dissapointed that their scrap bargain bin was empty I noticed there was several pieces in trash cans around the area. Asked a guy about them and he said they were trash so they were free. Those nice free 2x4s now are serving the purpose as a a mobile base for a large free cabinet section I also took from the lab I work at.

Same Here!

I have to admit, I'm a hoarder. I hate to throw anything away. Hardware on the floor gets scrounged with a magnet I made from a broken speaker...works great on an extension pole.

Ever since I started to do kitchen and vanity renovations, I would remove all the hardware and stored it. The cabinetry, I would sell, or use what is salvagable for shop/garage cabinets. It's amazing what people will buy. After many years of saving that old hardware, I had a substantial stash. I would get calls to see if I had a replacement hinge, or drawer rollers, and I got top dollar for hardware that was hard to find.. More than worthwhile saving those items.

I agree. For the first few years of our marriage, my wife used to ask me why I was keeping / hoarding screws, nails, hardware, etc. Now after 28 years she knows why. If something has to be fixed, rigged, altered, etc., more than likely I've got the hardware to fix it. :thumbsup:

Chris Curl: Yes oh Yes on Dave Ramsey. I realize now the reason I listened to him, but one thing perplexes me: My friends are all calling me cheap, and to dig up some of that moldy old money you have buried in the back yard. LOL. But I live well and enjoy my lifestyle because of Dave.

I don't hardly ever use nails, maybe some brads now and again. Screws get wide usage when needed, and I always save ones that are removed for one reason or another, if the head is marred, I toss it. Mostly though, I don't throw them. I do like the square drive, but I see that now there are some star drive screws on the market. mmmmm

I don't save nails and don't use them much anyway. Screws I might save in a flat drawer that I can easily look through. Never again in a can. Wastes too much time trying to find the one you need. I also would rather go to the hardware and buy the exact size I need instead of making due with the wrong size.

I save almost every scrap of hardwood. But that's about it.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

What I won't do is cheap out in tool quality but I will buy used tools before I ever pay for new.
I go to pawn shops and on occasion if someone tells me a garage sale has some, I'll go look.
I see too many folks that stock a shop with new stuff, and never use most of the equipment.

On the side stuff like nails/sandpaper/etc, I won't mess with saving the stuff.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.