Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody else here that for some weird reason has no problems going and buying a new power tool or router bit, or 200 bd ft of walnut on a spur of the moment, but gets stingy when it comes to cheap consumables?

For some odd reason I find myself taking rubber gloves off carefully so they can be reused or if I drop a nail or screw it drives me crazy if i can't find it to reuse it. When I take screws out of things I get upset if the head is damaged so it can't be used again!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm the exact opposite. Screws and gloves, I throw them out without thinking about it. But lumber and tools. I'm a Craigslist stalker! Pallets, old fencing, anything in the free section made of wood and within a close driving distance I scavenge. Most of my shop is bought from Craigslist. Delta band saw $200, my full sized 6" jointer $100, etc. once something comes close to $100 I look for an alternative with similar quality. I've recently found 2 auction sites. Old high school shop classes being sold piece by piece. Almost bought a jet lathe for $150. Someone got it at the last minute for $200. Screws and gloves are expendable. Power tools and lumber can always be had with patience for the right price!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm with you on saving screw and nails haha. Just yesterday my wife was wanting to sweep, I told her to let me look before she threw the sweepings away. She also wanted to throw the 'trash' away on the bench...it was wax paper i used for some gluing so I said no. Found out you can just knock the glue beads off the wax paper and reuse :thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll spend a fair bit on good tools, machinery, and hardware
I like to harvest my lumber and process it myself

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I used to save old screws and nails, and even straighten bent nails so they could be used again. Then a few years ago I realized that it's not 1955 any more, it's a 10 minute walk to the Borg, and my time is worth more than I save by fussing about old hardware. Most of the stuff I remove goes in the trash.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you on saving screw and nails haha. Just yesterday my wife was wanting to sweep, I told her to let me look before she threw the sweepings away. She also wanted to throw the 'trash' away on the bench...it was wax paper i used for some gluing so I said no. Found out you can just knock the glue beads off the wax paper and reuse :thumbsup:
That is too funny, here is a pic of my shelf with wax paper i save:
Photo 1 (10).jpg

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
And I thought I was frugal!
Reusing wax paper? Now, that is being REALLY frugal. :thumbsup:
I do save all the screws I remove. Not nails, though.
We live 20 miles from the hardware store. I used to just buy just the number of screws needed for a project. Then I found myself going back later for the same screws for a different project. Took me a while to figure out that a box of screws is cheaper in the long run.
If I was a REAL penny pincher, I wouldn't be doing woodwork.:no:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I save and repurpose a lot. My home and shop is in a small town where not much gets wasted--I do a lot of work in a big city a couple hours drive away, where heaps of stuff gets wasted. Over half of the lumber I used to build my shop is reclaimed from big city sites, as is a large part of my supply of woodturning material. I have containers full of old/discarded screws (I only save them if they are in good nick; anything Philips goes in the bin!). Cut offs of new subflooring and ply always seem to find uses around the shop and house. I save old brass door and window hardware because its far better quality than much of what's available now. As I am writing this, the bed of my truck is graced by a pair of old native timber doors from a 1950's school classroom block reno I'm working on--complete with solid brass hinges three times as solid as new equivalents and original handles & lockset.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
That's pretty extravagant to buy rubber gloves. It's much cheaper to let your paws get stained. I'm so cheap I think long and hard before I buy a power tool or router bit and any lumber purchase has to have a specific purpose. I also tend to save most things I demo out of customers homes. I have ovens, cook tops, doors and windows. I finally gave in and cut up a stack of cabinet doors the other day to give more space in my warehouse. I have to find a way to break the habit. One double oven in the warehouse has been there for 13 years.

·
Banned
8 Posts
The wax paper prompted me to respond I too save used wax paper! Screws, nails and old metal is thrown in a can for recycle. In Pittsburgh we have a place called construction Junction and also a Re-Store from habitat for humanity. These are great places to shop for hardware and old lumber for re-use. Also I work and shop at Goodwill.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I have to admit, I'm a hoarder. I hate to throw anything away. Hardware on the floor gets scrounged with a magnet I made from a broken speaker...works great on an extension pole.

Ever since I started to do kitchen and vanity renovations, I would remove all the hardware and stored it. The cabinetry, I would sell, or use what is salvagable for shop/garage cabinets. It's amazing what people will buy. After many years of saving that old hardware, I had a substantial stash. I would get calls to see if I had a replacement hinge, or drawer rollers, and I got top dollar for hardware that was hard to find.. More than worthwhile saving those items.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I buy my latex and nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight when they go on sale. That averages about 6 cents per glove or 12 cents per pair. I am not about to save them. Maybe it's because 99% of my woodworking experience has been in operating commercial shops and also stripping and refinishing - to me, everything is 'contamination'. Now that I am retired and live on my boat, I don't have room to store anything I don't have an immediate need for.

As for screws, I would keep some of the old ones as emergency spares for the finer antiques. Generally though, I would throw them away. Eventually, they will get you in trouble like when a head strips or breaks off.

When I had my shop, I, like Cabinetman, saved old hardware for future replacements on old stuff repairs.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i make trips to the home depot over lunch to grab a handful of the free large paint stirrers. they are 21" long, 1/4" thick, a tad under 1 1/2" wide. i make all kinds of stuff out of them.

the latest thing i have made with them is hangers for the shop drawers i made out of some bed support slats i pulled out of a dumpster.

i have a huge cache of paint stirrers now.

eventually, i plan to make a pantorouter out of paint stirrers

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
That's pretty extravagant to buy rubber gloves. It's much cheaper to let your paws get stained. I'm so cheap I think long and hard before I buy a power tool or router bit and any lumber purchase has to have a specific purpose. I also tend to save most things I demo out of customers homes. I have ovens, cook tops, doors and windows. I finally gave in and cut up a stack of cabinet doors the other day to give more space in my warehouse. I have to find a way to break the habit. One double oven in the warehouse has been there for 13 years.

maybe if you put them up for sale on CL cheap to sell them quickly, the extra $$$ woud be an incentive ... ?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here I thought I was the only one who saved wax paper:laughing:. I also reuse glue brushes, the ones from rockler that are like 10 buck for 50. Spend more time washing the silly things than they are worth but I can't stand to use something once and trash it!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
...... I also reuse glue brushes, the ones from rockler that are like 10 buck for 50
The same brushes are in Harbor Freight @ 36 for $2.99. Sometimes on sale for $1.99.
I throw them away. On sale that's only 5.5 cents each.

I am not normally a Harbor Freight guy. 99% of their stuff is pure junk. However, they have good buys if u know what to get.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a hard time spending money on just about anything - including tools. I'm one of the few guys in the world who has a wife saying "Seriously husband, you need to go buy yourself a jointer. And just get a new one - don't bother with fixing someones used one." But I just can't bring myself to do it. I think being raised around my grandfather who was a depression baby was both good and bad for me.

When I am doing something to help someone else though, I'll break the bank. My priorities really get screwed up here. I REALLY had been wanting a laminate trimmer but I just couldn't justify it when I already had a Bosch router. We were at a friends house who's husband had just passed and her kitchen island was never finished. I decided to finish it for her and in that process ended up buying a laminate trimmer so I could just wrap the whole thing up that night. Dropped about $200 on the project and didn't even think twice. Maybe I should just do more volunteer work.

However - I will say though that being an owner of a manufacturing company helps. I don't save nails and screws unless I plan to immediately reuse them (I try to save them on fencing projects when I'm just rebuilding what's already there for instance). I only have a limited amount of time that I'm able to work on projects that are important to me, and if that means spending an extra $5 on "consumables" then that's what I do.

Curtis

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have spent my money on good tools and equipment. However, when it comes to odds and ends I am very cheap...err frugal I mean. While I don't reuse rubber gloves because my wife is in the medical field and I get all I want. I do troll around commercial dumpsters and frequently search craiglslist in the free section. I have found a great deal of items that have been repurposed. I recycle my cans and bottles and put that in a wood/corvette fund. I put spare change in a water bottle (5 Gal) and once a year or so I empty in and I have about a 400-500 bucks. I go to garage sales in the more affluent areas. I go to salvation army and goodwill stores I don't always find items but there are times when I do. I have been known to stop my truck on the side of the road if I see a useable piece of wood, bucket, tool etc. Shoot one time while stationed in Cali I found a chain saw on I5..yes I stopped and got that too! As far as screws and what not if I can get them out then I will use them, I guess I am a small horder but it is for a purpose. In short, I am living like no one else so one day I can live like no one else.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I buy my latex and nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight when they go on sale. That averages about 6 cents per glove or 12 cents per pair. I am not about to save them. Maybe it's because 99% of my woodworking experience has been in operating commercial shops and also stripping and refinishing - to me, everything is 'contamination'. Now that I am retired and live on my boat, I don't have room to store anything I don't have an immediate need for.

As for screws, I would keep some of the old ones as emergency spares for the finer antiques. Generally though, I would throw them away. Eventually, they will get you in trouble like when a head strips or breaks off.

When I had my shop, I, like Cabinetman, saved old hardware for future replacements on old stuff repairs.

The same brushes are in Harbor Freight @ 36 for $2.99. Sometimes on sale for $1.99.
I throw them away. On sale that's only 5.5 cents each.

I am not normally a Harbor Freight guy. 99% of their stuff is pure junk. However, they have good buys if u know what to get.
That is where I get my brushes and gloves also...for some reason as stated by another member: I just hate to use something once and throw it away.

Plus, that is ususally the things I run out of and forget to restock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts