Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Been trying to read and find the best method of routing out a recess for the odd shaped badge. It's about 7" wide. 1/8" thick. Injection mold like a car emblem. Any suggestions or suggested readings that might help?

image-1205422849.jpg

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I would likely use the emblem as a pattern and use an X-Acto knife to line out the outside edge. Then deepen the line with slow gradual passes without trying to dig too deep. It's easier to follow a line that way so not to get caught in following the grain.

Once I have the depth pretty good, I'd use a chisel to clean out the field towards the edge, and maybe a router with a big base and a straight faced bit for the majority of the inside area.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
If it were me I would make a template and use a template guide on your router base to route it out. just measure the difference between the cutting edge of the router bit and the edge of the template guide and make the template that much bigger than the badge. With mine it's 1/16" all the way around.

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
Use a router inlay kit

This You Tube explains how starting at 4:30 second in:

You can use your plaque for your positive template. At 8:49 it shows how to make your recess. You may want to slightly recess the plaque , so make the recess an bit deeper in your case. OR you may want it slightly proud...?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think I may actually want them slightly proud to accommodate any additional material that may go into the wood along with the badge. Such as paint or vinyl if I am not staining the wood. These will be done on a large scale so I wouldn't want to do the exacto knife each time but thanks for that advice because I can utilize that info on a few other things actually.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
These will be done on a large scale so I wouldn't want to do the exacto knife each time but thanks for that advice because I can utilize that info on a few other things actually.
You didn't say that in your post. In that case I would have suggested doing them with a template and a router.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cabinetman said:
You didn't say that in your post. In that case I would have suggested doing them with a template and a router. .
Well I should say I HOPE to do these on a large scale ha thanks for your help cabinet man

1 - 8 of 8 Posts