Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother put in a pool last year and had to take down a walnut as part of the excavation. What remains is two logs aobut 8' long and about 18" wide. Knowing that I just started woodworking he said "You should make it into boards".

So these question is, without breaking the bank, what are my options here. I have a 20" poulan chain saw that I got about 10 years ago and thats it.

I saw a bunch of stuff online aobut how to split it into quarters by hand. The question is, then what do I do with it. I don't hae a band saw, and would need a pretty big one to handle over a 6" cut.

Also, I'm not apposed to sawing by hand. I know this would take a while, but I figure I could do an hour at a time here and there until its done.

I also wouldn't be adverse to paying someone to cut them, but I can't move them and really wouldn't want to throw more than $100-$150 at it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Search You Tube for "chain saw mills" to see if this is something you can or are willing to do. Then search Amazon.com or a Google search to purchase one. Northerntool.com has a mill that should fit your saw for $150. Make sure you keep the blade sharp and plenty of bar oil

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in south central PA. I saw the chainsaw mills. I guess I would need the rig plus a rip tooth chain.

·
7,222 Posts
If you decide to cut the logs into quarters, you can bring them over to my place to cut into boards on my 17in bandsaw.

Could be a good reason to come over for the hand plane discussion.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
beware of walnut logs

I was given a small walnut tree for the favor of sawing it down. There was very little straight grained knot free wood in the length I got. I cut them into 4 ft length or so so I could lift them around by hand. Then I quartered them and sawed them into planks on my 18" bandsaw.
It was a lot of work for a little useable lumber.

Find a portable sawmiller who you can bring them to OR have them come out to cut them. Friends of friends are better than the Yellow Pages in my experience. :yes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
kwolfe,

You'll get more boards out of those logs if you have them milled with a bandsaw. 18" small end diameter (inside the bark) x 8' logs should yield about 110 board feet each. At my mill 220 bf milled at 4/4 would cost about $99 + sales tax. Milled at 8/4 would run about $77. It depends on the actual board footage. Some mills work by the hour and some have minimums, you'll just have to check them.

There are quite a few mills in Pennsylvania and there are several 'sawmill finder' sites that might help you. Not all sawyers join all of the sites so I would check several sites to find someone reasonably close to your home. PM if you would like some links.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts