Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried my hand with some miter splines for the first time and made a spacing error. The top will be cut right in between the two top splines. I'm wondering how bad this will turn out as the second and third are too close. Should I even finish it? Oh and I don't know what went wrong but there are very few that turned out the same thickness.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Table Furniture

Wood Furniture Table Drawer Room

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I should have stained it first too and the bottom is about 1/4" thick and wow did it cup! Looks like crap but didn't want to re do it, also my planer didn't want to go that far down. I was thinking of a maple top with a sweet gum strip about 2" wide across the middle. Any thoughts on that combo? Red oak, paudak, and sweet gum. Thanks

·
where's my table saw?
29,605 Posts
not a problem in my opinion

If I understand correctly, the top will have only one spline or can you add another near the very top?

One spline looks a little sparse, but it would still be OK. :yes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the top will have only one. It's a little longer than the rest but I was worried about the two that are so close together. Just wondering if it can pass as an "on purpose " design and not look like a flaw.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh man, I have no idea on this one, but Cabinetman well .... as soon as he gets back from the hospital. I am guessing he seen this thread and had a small mental break down, but once the medication kicks in and he calms down, he should be able to help you...:laughing:...just kidding, I would probably put one more in the group of three in the middle and make it four to offset the unevenness making it appear more uniform, would be my guess

edit: looking at this some more, another thing you might consider is to re-saw out the top spline of the two real close together in the middle, and put a spline back in using the same wood as the drawer, basically making invisible, the remaining splines will look much better. Don't know about the cupping, is the bottom floating in a dado, or did you fix it to the bottom, glue and screw. Cabinetman was a professional cabinet maker for many years, he may have a solution for the cupping.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Spacing error I can't see it at all. I would look at it as a design feature.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I probably wouldn't worry about it. Once you cut the lid, if it sits good it would look fine in my eyes. Sometimes fixing these small issues is more hassle than what it's worth to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts