Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the faucet in my guest bath and while I was under the sink I could not see anything that attaches the counter top to the cabinet although it feels pretty tight. I looked for some sort of adhesive like caulking and didn’t see any signs of that either. I know this sink isn't that heavy.

I’m planning on replacing the sink if I can find one that’s the same shape. I believe its acrylic and its badly damaged from 20 years of hot water left running on it. Everybody turns on the hot water then does something else while it's heating up and its usually running a while before they get back to it.

Anyway I may have to buy a whole new cabinet if I can’t get this off without destroying it.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
other than gravity and the plumbing, you're right, most contractors may lay a caulk bead down on the top edge of the vanity to secure it. it may just be stuck to the wall too.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
other than gravity and the plumbing, you're right, most contractors may lay a caulk bead down on the top edge of the vanity to secure it. it may just be stuck to the wall too.
It has separate pieces for the back splash and the sidewall may be holding it like you say.

I’m not putting a lot of force on it because I have people coming for the week and I can't make too much of a mess. Plus I want to put in a tile floor first, but that will depend on whether or not I have to replace the cabinet and I don't have time for any of that.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I found it. There was caulking behind some 1/4 round wrapped around the top. I was expecting to see some oozing from the inside.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
OK I found it. There was caulking behind some 1/4 round wrapped around the top. I was expecting to see some oozing from the inside.
You can usually go around the outside edge with a stiff putty knife and work the caulk loose. It could be just dabs of caulk or a small bead. It's more difficult if you have to do it from the inside. You'll likely get a stiff neck before you're done. Work the backsplash off first.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I know about the stiff neck. I spent 45 min trying to remove an old 20 yr faucet inside the tiny bathroom cabinet. I finally had enough and pulled out the Saw-Zaw and cut it off from the top. I just finished putting in the new one because I ended up replacing the shutoff valves as well.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
When your guests leave. Get out that saws all and make quick work of it.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When your guests leave. Get out that saws all and make quick work of it.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
I saw a complete setup at Home Depot for $160 including sink, cabinet with drawers and matching Mirror. It’s a lot less than what I can build it for and probably better quality. The only thing missing was the faucet. I think I’m going to buy it today after work and store it. I don’t believe I can find a counter in the shape I have anyway

·
Registered
29 Posts
I actually bought one of these for the bathroom in my daughters room.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204105...son-_-vanity_special_values-_-na#.UkrQDRAyibg

Not a bad deal. Very basic. They sure skimped in the back of the cabinet, but what do you do. Came with mirror and glass shelf. Bought a brushed nickel faucet it for it by the same manufacturer that was something like $35. It has dropped $20 since I bought it a month ago too.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
I saw a complete setup at Home Depot for $160 including sink, cabinet with drawers and matching Mirror. It’s a lot less than what I can build it for and probably better quality. The only thing missing was the faucet. I think I’m going to buy it today after work and store it. I don’t believe I can find a counter in the shape I have anyway
That sounds like a deal, I just finished a bathroom, so am aware of the cost. Just having a cut-out and sink under-mounted in a Caesarstone top is $150 labor.

You should not see any sealant, industrial silicone is generally used for tops to vanity and back splashes to top and walls. Any squeeze out is wiped with methyl hydrate and disappears completely.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually bought one of these for the bathroom in my daughters room.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204105...son-_-vanity_special_values-_-na#.UkrQDRAyibg

Not a bad deal. Very basic. They sure skimped in the back of the cabinet, but what do you do. Came with mirror and glass shelf. Bought a brushed nickel faucet it for it by the same manufacturer that was something like $35. It has dropped $20 since I bought it a month ago too.
That sounds like the same thing and even the price is the same, but I think the one I looked at had a drawer although could be wrong about that.
I had to work in another area today and was surprised that the Home Depot there had different stuff. When I told the wife about it she want to drive to the store were we first saw it and buy it before they are gone.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this Sink Standard off the shelf?

I’m still trying to decide if I want to replace the cabinet or not and trying to figure out if this is a custom sink or can I buy one off the shelf this size and shape.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That looks like a custom cast top. We had to have one made a few years back when we remodeled. There was a column in one corner where they ran a vent stack and that was in the same alcove where the sink had to go. I think it cost like $200 for ours, the sink was off center in ours as well ( don't you love trying to fit new stuff in an old house ).

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok well that's what I was afraid of. I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot thinking I might get lucky because it is stamped made in Mexico underneath. I guess I'll have to tear it out and buy the one on sale at Home Depot, Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts