Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Absent Minded Alicorn
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for my next project, i'm going to make the HorseHead sculpture as seen in the following picture from the cartoon MLP;FIM~

I have a BUNCH of silver maple, and a pine log lying around the garage, so that's what I'm going to work from for consistency instead of gluing a bunch of stuff together.
I can make it out of the pine log, which hasn't checked or cracked yet, but it was cut in spring (it was free, so shoot me) so it has enough sap to fill the Mississippi.
Then there's the Silver maple. I have twice as much of that as I do the pine, but it's all checked and severely cracked~ now there's nothing wrong with there being cracks in the finished product (would add to the piece if anything)
Does anyone know how to remove sap from pine?
I'm hesitant to use the silver maple, because I'm using that this fall to make Twilight Sparkle's bed.
And if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if i've been away from the forums. it's hard to get online when your laptop is down.

·
7,222 Posts
Moisture or resin?

If by "sap" you mean moisture, this can be removed in several ways.
a) Allow to air dry. Takes a long time.
b) Use ethanol to displace the water. Quick, but specific process. See this link. Method by David R. Smith. I have not yet needed to use, but lots of other people have used.
http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/
c) Make an insulated container and heat with the likes of a 60watt incandescent bulb. Like a) takes some time.
In all cases, weigh the item and make a log. Re-weigh several times a week. When the weight levels off, you have reached equilibrium.

If by "sap" you mean resin, I am not aware how to remove this. It will cause your tool to "gunk" up, and need frequent cleaning. Resin is a reason some turners will not consider pine as worth trying to turn.

Sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I carved a bust out of maple one time. It was about the hardest carving I've ever done. I think you would be better off using pine for your horse sculpture.

·
Absent Minded Alicorn
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aaand the blank is cut!
I went with silver maple beacuse I have more of it, and I would have had to wait 'till fall to finish it out of pine. If anything this project is a time burner. It's summer and i've got nothing to do.
I'm not afraid to carve. I did a lot of that on the Rainbow Dash bed.

Now comes the fun part!

·
Absent Minded Alicorn
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE ON THE HORSEHEAD BUST:

I bought a chainsaw for fifty bucks, because the handsaws were too slow, even with 9TPI
Without a doubt, a great investment since it would've taken me weeks to get as far as I am right now.

I am just coarse sculpting, nothing too fine, but I've already had to dig out several nails embedded and grown over. It's like hunting for mines, only instead of getting blown up, you get a flying, red-hot chain to the face!

and yes, that's one tall mohawk~

Also got another better picture to better represent the horsehead than the one provided. I'm going to go with the simpler colored one and probably do a beeswax finish or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts