Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one of those Rockler switches that are used for router tables (the one with the big buttons, particularly the "OFF" button). The switch is rated at 15 amps.

I'm wondering, with my router table, if I can hook up my router and my shop vac to the that switch - so both the router and shop vac will go on and off at the same time.

The shop vac lable indicates it draws 7.0 amps. I can't find an amp rating on my router. It's a Rigid 2.5 HP.

Is this a good idea, or am I asking for a problem?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If the router were really 2.5 HP, there certainly would be a problem, not only for the switch, but probably for the breaker, too. If the router were half what it claims, the setup would still be marginal at best for the switch.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'd bet the start up draw of both tools at the same time would tax a 15 amp circuit (if that's what you're on) and might well tax a 20 amp (trip the breaker). Most routers labeled 2.5 HP are in the 12 amp (+/-) range, so you have about 19 amps or so running...start up would be much higher.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'd bet the start up draw of both tools at the same time would tax a 15 amp circuit (if that's what you're on) and might well tax a 20 amp (trip the breaker). Most routers labeled 2.5 HP are in the 12 amp (+/-) range, so you have about 19 amps or so running...start up would be much higher.
disagree. for many years, i used a sears combination switch to activate both a router and a 20 gallon shop vac on the same 20A circuit. and running amperage is usually lower than start up amperage.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I've got one of those Rockler switches that are used for router tables (the one with the big buttons, particularly the "OFF" button). The switch is rated at 15 amps.

I'm wondering, with my router table, if I can hook up my router and my shop vac to the that switch - so both the router and shop vac will go on and off at the same time.

The shop vac lable indicates it draws 7.0 amps. I can't find an amp rating on my router. It's a Rigid 2.5 HP.

Not sure which Ridgid router you have. The only full sized ridged I can find being currently marketed is the R29302 which is rated at 2 HP/11 amps:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-HP-Multi-Base-Router-Combo-R29302/100634368#specifications

I don't think you will have a problem using the router and vac wired together like that. Remember that the rated amperage on universal motors occur when the thing is stalled or very close to it. It's the point that the wiring starts releasing smoke. At startup, the inrush current is high and drops as the motor comes up to speed. Starting both simultaneously as you would be doing will result in the maximum current draw for a few seconds (or less) but switches and breakers are both designed to handle brief overcurrent situations.
Personally, I use a switched, duplex outlet on the back of my router table to feed my router but I occasionally plug the vacuum in back there also. I do have the outlet on a 20 amp breaker and a 20 amp switch but my router is rated at 15 amp peak and the vacuum at 12 amp peak with no problem. I don't keep the vac plugged in back there all the time because I like to have it run a few seconds after I shut the table down to purge the system. :smile:

·
Registered
305 Posts
disagree. for many years, i used a sears combination switch to activate both a router and a 20 gallon shop vac on the same 20A circuit. and running amperage is usually lower than start up amperage.
The OP was asking if his particular setup would overload a 15 amp switch. Our answers were "probably". It sounds like your switch was designed or specified for the application.

Apples and oranges.

A universal motor's free running current draw is less than startup, but draw under load can approach startup current.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, sounds borderline. I'll use the low tech approach of putting my shop vac right next to the router switch so I can reach down and turn it off a few seconds after the router shutdown.

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
485 Posts

I'm not familiar with the switch you speak, but here's what I did. Makes it simple and easy.

x
x
I installed a 4x4 box w/2 way receptacle and a toggle switch on my router fence. Plugged router and DC in the 2way. The toggle operates both. Box is plugged into a 15 amp power strip which is plugged into another 15 amp power strip further down the table which is plugged into the ceiling outlet rated 15 amps. The switch is a lot handier than reaching under the table for the router switch and flipping the DC switch.
x
x
x
x
Machine Machine tool Wood Tool Furniture
x
x
x
I installed a single outlet box in series between my TS switch and the motor. Plug the DC in it and the TS switch operates both.
x
x
x
Machine Table Wood Pipe
x
x
x
I've never thrown a breaker with either setup.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I tried to do something similar once. I bought one of those momentary foot switches for the shop vac.

I guess what I'm saying here is DON'T.

I learned two things.
First, the foot, momentary contact switch was very distracting. Instead of concentrating on the routing task at hand, I was distracted by keeping the location of the foot switch where I could keep my foot on it during the routing process. (Not Good)

Second, I was constantly stepping on or tripping over the foot switch. All I could think of was that it was a good thing that the router wasn't connected to the foot switch.

There is a solution and it has been suggested. The electrical box with the switch works well. In another life I had a RAS and repurposed a Kirby vacuum as a dedicated shop vac. The switch was located underneath and at the left side of the table. I could flip the switch just before I started a cut. This kind of set up is probably your best solution.

While using a single switch to operate both the router and shop vac will work, from a safety perspective I'm not comfortable with that style of operation.

BTW - You can get 20 amp switches. Just ask for a "Garbage Disposal" switch. I've even found 20 amp switches in normal stock at HD.

BTW2 - Use the toggle style rather than the décor style. The toggle is much easier to use in the shop.

Reactions: durdyolman

·
John
3,028 Posts
Personally, as far as power switches go I like the magnetic paddle switches. I get them from Grizzly though. They are 1/3 to half the cost of the same thing from Rockler/Kreg/Peachtree ...etc.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
One each of these. Can be wired two ways. Split the outlet on the hot side. Run 12-3 from the duplex switch to the outlet. Black and red to the split brass side, neutral to the white side. Plug router in one outlet, shop vac in the other. At the switch, wire one of two ways:

1- Incoming black to one side of both switches. Black and red of the 12-3 go to the output side of the switches, one to each switch. Incoming neutral nutted to neutral in 12-3. Grounds continuous throughout. One switch now controls vac, and one for router. Mount switch in convenient location.

2- Incoming black to one side of ONE switch. Output side of this switch goes to two places - red or black in the 12-3, and to the input side of the second switch. Output side of the second switch to remaining red or black in the 12-3. Incoming neutral to neutral in the 12-3. Grounds continuous throughout. In this instance the 1st switch turns on the vac and supplies power to the 2nd switch. Second switch powers router. Router cannot start unless vac is on.

Either way provides a delay between vac and router start up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

this is what i found for amp draw if this is your router, Heavy Duty EVS 2-1/4 Peak HP Router Combo ... Input: 120 V AC, 12 Amps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is what i found for amp draw if this is your router, Heavy Duty EVS 2-1/4 Peak HP Router Combo ... Input: 120 V AC, 12 Amps.
OK, thanks. Seven amps vac plus 12 amps router = 19 amps. Confirms that its probably not a good idea. A number of other alternatives suggested that look to be better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts