Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is is one of those pieces of wood I see differently every time I look at it. Is it beautiful, ugly, or just unique? I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but I'm curious to know how y'all see it. I've got some good HF blanks but I can't decide if I really like this wood enough to spend a bunch of time on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is is one of those pieces of wood I see differently every time I look at it. Is it beautiful, ugly, or just unique? I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but I'm curious to know how y'all see it. I've got some good HF blanks but I can't decide if I really like this wood enough to spend a bunch of time on it.
Whats not to like, looks great.

·
Registered
641 Posts
see something new every day! HUH... very nifty piece. I love the knot in the upper right and the way the (whatever the heck it is) kind of swirls around it reminds me of a thermal image of the way solar flares hit the earths atmosphere for some reason completely beyond me it definitely makes you take a double look... Let us know if you figure out what it is:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Firstly this is the type of wood that really needs time sent on it simply because the rewards are so good. Secondly mount it on a black background and display it like the first pic. The bowl looks great

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Here's the deal: I thought until recently that all honey locust looked like this. I've turned wood from 3 different HL trees on my place, all of which were standing dead, and they all have these red streaks along the ray lines. I'm glad to know y'all think its cool too (my wife thinks it's ugly and I really need to stop being influenced by her ). Here's a HF I turned from a different tree 2 or 3 years ago. Has anyone else seen these streaks in honey locust? Maybe it's a result of what killed them.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, Bond, this bowl (and another I made right after) were doing the Rice Crispies bit when I brought them in yesterday. They are about 10 days old but it's been humid. Did your walnut piece quiet down?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.