Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· twingall1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to save money by making mini turning tools (for turning chess pieces) with HSS drill bits ground to shape.. Probably should have posted before starting! Anyway, i had a few questions about best methods and also, best sources of HSS steel.

Firstly, Is all HSS steel the same? Any difference between a good quality lathe chisel's steel and an HSS drill bit?

The bits i bought weren't all that cheap, can someone tell me the cheapest source of good HSS steel? I heard masonary nails would do, but they're not marked so i wanted to check..

And finally, for the method: What's the best glue to use? How deep into the handle should i lodge the shaft? What's the best method of lodging the shaft?

A lot of questions i know! Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Here's a couple of pics of my first efforts before grinding to shape:

Many thanks,
Tom

· twingall1
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forge/heat treatment required?

Thanks for the tip: I bought a couple of 4" rod blanks of M42 steel. It hoodsa good edge and i'm pleased.
I just wanted to know: On one site selling m42 steel in bulk, they gave directions about heating/forging, and how to cool slowly after this. Am i right in thinking that most blanks bought would need this kind of treatment to make them their strongest/hardest? Or have i got this wrong?

Also- Could you hazard a guess as to what steel exactly the top brands of woodworking tool use?

Many thanks,
Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.