Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
7,222 Posts
I don't have a vise yet, so it might be a noob idea, but why wouldn't you just clamp small stuff in the middle of the vise....?

Noob,
Acer
If the piece will fit between the rails and screw or is shorter than the jaws this would work, but frequently the pieces we need to clamp are longer than the depth of jaws and / or wider than the width between the rail and the screw.

My front mount vise has the screw offset so more space on one side vs the other, but it is still amazing how often the piece is wider than the space available. "Murphy".

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the piece will fit between the rails and screw or is shorter than the jaws this would work, but frequently the pieces we need to clamp are longer than the depth of jaws and / or wider than the width between the rail and the screw.

My front mount vise has the screw offset so more space on one side vs the other, but it is still amazing how often the piece is wider than the space available. "Murphy".
Aaah, hadn't thought about the length of the pieces. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Schooled,
Acer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.