Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've used both. The advantage of the commercial one is that its size and color makes it easier to find in a cluttered work space.

·
7,222 Posts
That is a good idea. :thumbsup:

I have the Lee Valley one and like it.

It is a good idea to have one of these, whether commercial or home made.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I didn't realize the Lee Valley one was only $12 otherwise I probably would have bought one. But iwas passing by lowes anyway. Cost me less than $2.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Essential tool for vise work in my opinion. Commercial, home-made; it don't matter, but everyone using a vise that racks needs one to avoid frustration at the vise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't have a vise yet, so it might be a noob idea, but why wouldn't you just clamp small stuff in the middle of the vise....?

Noob,
Acer

·
7,222 Posts
I don't have a vise yet, so it might be a noob idea, but why wouldn't you just clamp small stuff in the middle of the vise....?

Noob,
Acer
If the piece will fit between the rails and screw or is shorter than the jaws this would work, but frequently the pieces we need to clamp are longer than the depth of jaws and / or wider than the width between the rail and the screw.

My front mount vise has the screw offset so more space on one side vs the other, but it is still amazing how often the piece is wider than the space available. "Murphy".

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the piece will fit between the rails and screw or is shorter than the jaws this would work, but frequently the pieces we need to clamp are longer than the depth of jaws and / or wider than the width between the rail and the screw.

My front mount vise has the screw offset so more space on one side vs the other, but it is still amazing how often the piece is wider than the space available. "Murphy".
Aaah, hadn't thought about the length of the pieces. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Schooled,
Acer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts