Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an router extension for my Ridgid TS3660 table saw awhile back and decided I needed to upgrade my router fence from the POS home made one I was using. I took a design from a book and altered it a bit to fit my needs. It's made of mdf core oak plywood with a maple veneered something or other fence. It was on sale at HD for $1 a linear so I grabbed a board. That's all I bought for this thing, everything else I had laying around, so you could say it cost me $12 to build. Anyways, it is able to slide its opening so I can have zero clearance on the bit. I clamp it to my TS fence with some F clamps and can use the micro adjuster and the rule on my fence rail to make incremental adjustements. The dust port in the top is 2 1/2 inch for my shop vac and sucks pretty much everything up. I am really happy with it so far. :thumbsup:

Attachments

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kendall. The only other thing I think I will do to it is add some T-track to the fence for some feather board hold downs. I just need to find the time to go pick some up.

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Joey,
The extension is just two sheets of 3/4" MDF sandwiched with a laminate cemented to the top. I used angle iron underneath to attach it to the rails. I purposely made it so I could still use the stock steel tube on the end. If you go to ridgidforum.com and search 3650 or 3660 router table extension you will find numerous variations. Several schools of thought are concerned that the weight will deform the rails over time. I don't keep my router hanging though, so I have less of a concern. I also just attached mine to the rails, but other will drill the cast iron wing and use angle iron to attach it on the 3rd side as well.

· The Dude abides...
54 Posts
Wow. That really makes mine look like a big turd. I've got baby brother versions of the saw and router table.

/walks away.
/dreams of a nice big shop with shiny new tools.

-Rich

· Registered
805 Posts
ACP
I posted this on another thread before i noticed this thread, sorry, anyway i thought it might give others some ideas. BTW, your fence looks great.
I have been working on this for awhile but thought i would share some of the ideas i incoporated into it in hopes that it might help others with their router table decisions. The nice thing about building your own is there are endless possibilities as far as what you want in a router table and fence. There is still some work to do on it but will post a picture when completed.

Fence will set directly on table saw fence
View attachment 13870

Dust collection attached
View attachment 13871

front of fence
View attachment 13872

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Post away Garry, this post was revived. It was originally Sept of last year. By the way, I really like your fence. Not needing the F-clamps is a big plus. That dust collection looks great too. If anyone does decide to build a fence similar to ours, I would recommend Garry's dust collection setup. Mine feeds out the top and over time I have found that it sometimes, annoyingly, flops in my way. Fed through the side inside the fence like Garry has would be ideal. Wish I had thought of that.

· Registered
805 Posts
ACP,
Shows you how much i pay attention. While this thread is revived let me ask you, did you put the T-Track on the fence? I thought about it but decided not to, i'm going to figure out some other way to attach the feather boards.

· Registered
136 Posts
Thats looks like a nice homebuilt setup. Did you consider drilling a couple of holes and fasten to the fence when using it instead of the clamps. All it takes is 1 jolt or error when using it and those claps could pop loose. I only say that from operations I set up in my own shop .

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Itchy. No wooddude, I hadn't thought of it, but you know what, that's a great idea. My TS3660 has those build in t-tracks. That'd work great to just add some bolts and some knurled knobs to tighten it down. Thanks for the idea! One thing I like about posting projects here is the ideas that come up. The old saying two (or more) heads is better than one could not be more true.

· Registered
979 Posts
Very nice set up! However I'm afraid I'm going to have to come out there and throw some sawdust on that thing, and at least put a scuff on that shiny saw!

Homemade jigs/fences always look so much nicer than store bought, but sometimes the long-term accuracy or safety minded features of manufactured items has to outweigh the appearance factor...but it is fun to make them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.