Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed some large clamps for my aquarium project and now that I had finished Uni I finally have some time to do some more work. For a Uni student clamps are quite expensive so I have made a prototype and was wondering what you guys think, it is 1000mm (40") with a 250mm (10") threaded rod to finely tune the clamps length. The butt on the main part is able to move down the holes which have been drilled out using a hole bore drill bit, they are 100mm (4") apart. When my drill charges and I can finish the holes I will be able to clamp anything from 100mm (4") to 1150mm (46"), I need longer clamps than this too so my next few will be longer, up to 1500 (60")

Any thoughts or improvements would be appreciated, cheers.

·
where's my table saw?
29,940 Posts
inexpensive clamps

Cheap clamps can be made from all thread rod. Just make some short blocks and drill a hole for the rod to pass through. Use nuts on both ends and you'll be amazed how much pressure you can apply.
The blocks can be wood, metal or a tough plastic. These have multiple rods for clamping smaller panels while the glue sets up:

The rabbets along the outer edge support the panels which just rest on top of the rods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That cost me less than $3, I live in Australia but I doubt I'll find a clamp for less than $3 even in the states and took me 15 minutes, it's a longer drive to my nearest hardware store, I'm more or less set on this design, just trying to improve it with any tips

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
ok then. after setting it for the desired target, i would bolt the stationary side to the post to keep that from moving at all. I owuld use as hard a wood as i could find, i would use the thickest bolt (or threaded rod) i could to minimize flexing. lastly, i would cut the stationary such that it "leans" toward the moving side a degree or 2 to offset any flexing that side might have. and i would test the other side under load to see how much the rod flexes under tension and angle that face so that it is parallel to the stationary face when fully clamped down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheap clamps can be made from all thread rod. Just make some short blocks and drill a hole for the rod to pass through. Use nuts on both ends and you'll be amazed how much pressure you can apply.
The blocks can be wood, metal or a tough plastic. These have multiple rods for clamping smaller panels while the glue sets up:

The rabbets along the outer edge support the panels which just rest on top of the rods.
Went with a design similar with yours, you are correct, there is quite a bit of clamping pressure with these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.